Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Omega Barrel Floating >

Omega Barrel Floating

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Omega Barrel Floating

Old 09-17-2011, 08:19 PM
Fork Horn

how is the laminate TH? Have you ever compared it to the regular laminate? I find the regular laminate to a be a little too wide at the forearm, no narrow at the grip, and too low at the comb. I'm going to get an Omega and I'm trying to decide whether to get the TH or the regular laminate stock and I haven't came across a laminate TH that I can feel out yet.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:30 PM
Typical Buck

I have never handled a synthetic stock Omega. My .45 has a TH laminate and my .50 had a TH laminate. I hear of problems with the synthetic stock ones but I have not had any problems with my TH laminates. The TH just fits me great and I have switched over most of my guns to them. I think you would like the TH laminate. Keep looking, maybe one will appear and you can try it out.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

The TH Omega stocks have a higher comb than the standard stocks. IMO, standard stock = iron sights. TH stock = scope. I have the standard stock and I had to add a comb riser to it to get a proper cheek weld when using a scope.

Old 09-18-2011, 06:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by josh...just josh
how is the laminate TH? Have you ever compared it to the regular laminate? I find the regular laminate to a be a little too wide at the forearm, no narrow at the grip, and too low at the comb. I'm going to get an Omega and I'm trying to decide whether to get the TH or the regular laminate stock and I haven't came across a laminate TH that I can feel out yet.
My original Omega came with a laminate stock and they are built completely different than the composite stock. The lug pockets are much deeper and really capture the action. There is no stock flex at all and the barrel channel set and solid.

The TH composite is still not as strong as the Laminate either thumbhole or straight but it is much better than the straight composite. In the TH the lug pockets are reinforced front and back and once you get the barrel floated if it needs to be it is great stock.

I pitched my grey laminate in favor of the TH composite. The stock swith reduced the weight of the almost 12 ounces and for myself that was the goal. I really do prefer composite stocks to wood stocks anyway as out hunting conditions can really be bad and the composites do not move as much or wear as easy in the weather extremes of Idaho.

The thumbhole does have a higher roll over on the stock so getting on a scope is not a problem at all. I have done nothing to my composite thumbhole other than put it one the gun...

Last edited by sabotloader; 09-18-2011 at 06:37 AM.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

As mentioned earlier in the thread, I got around to using the J-B Weld epoxy putty last night and put it in the space between the lug pockets. Worked like a charm. That stuff is hard as a rock and it ain’t going anywhere. Sorry, I forgot to take pics. If you use this to reinforce the lug pockets, take heed to the advice to keep your fingers wet, and know that the working time is only 3 minutes, probably less. The package says 3-5 minutes, but I found that after working it into the space between the lug pockets, that I didn’t have time to work the leftover putty into the space behind the rear lug pocket, so I will have to get more (I mixed it all at one time since I didn’t know how much it would take to fill the void, and figured I would have time to work any leftover behind the rear lug). My advice is to cut approx ¾ of the putty stick and work it between the pockets, and then work the remaining ¼ into the space behind the rear pocket.

Whenever I get around to picking up more J-B Weld, I am thinking about using the thinnest amount in the fronts of the actual lug pockets themselves. This should eliminate the wiggle room that is there. I’m a bit nervous about trying that, given how fast the stuff begins to set.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

When I bought my Z5 TH Omega. There was a paper stuck between the barrel and stock running the length of the fron portion of the stock that said "free floated barrel" on it. I guess the paper was there to demonstrate this. Does this mean it has already been floated? Also, do they all come like that? I thought I was missing something when reading these posts about floating barrel/action. If any one has heard of some of them sold already floated let me know. I assume that is what I have (a factory floated barrel). But I don't know a lot about this type of thing. Thanks.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Buckhunter - They are supposed to be. Run a dollar bill test the length of your barrel up to the first lug. If you feel resistance, you know that your barrel isn't completely freefloated.