Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Musket or #11 caps >

Musket or #11 caps

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Musket or #11 caps

Old 09-15-2011, 01:19 PM
Fork Horn

There is a chance that the hammer is not hitting the nipple flat. That is why the #11 will not ignite on the first try. Check to see if the inside surface of the hammer is totally contacting the nipple when you release the hammer. With a musket cap there is more area for the hammer to hit, so it goes boom! On another note, # 11 caps for Goex, no problem, always good ignition. Musket caps for subs, although, I rarely use them.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I will have to check that out. I've tried several things, but that's one thing I've never thought of. If that is the issue, what's the solution for it?
Old 09-15-2011, 02:40 PM
Fork Horn

If you have a Dremel tool you could grind the striking surface of the hammer to change the angle, or grind the high spot, so it fully contacts the nipple. Look at the striking surface of the nipple now to see the marks on it where it is striking. You may see only a small spot where it is striking, the high spot. Let us know how you make out.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:17 PM
Dominant Buck

Another thing to keep an eye on when shooting #11 caps. You might suddenly get bad ignition where the thing hits and will not set the cap off. Look in the nose of that hammer. Sometimes it will hold on to caps. I have dug out as many as three thin slices of cap from inside the nose of the hammer.

Be careful with that dremel tool. Some people over do it, and they ruin the integrity of the nipple and it will cause them to blow out or even split. I purchased a rifle used from an auction site and the nipple split on me. As I examined it, you could see where a file or something was taken to the outside of it. I use emery paper and just wrap that around a nipple that it "too large" and kind of buff that thing, like your shining a shoe (remember when we used to shine our shoes with the buffing cloths.. ).
Old 09-15-2011, 06:34 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by cayugad
Another thing to keep an eye on when shooting #11 caps. You might suddenly get bad ignition where the thing hits and will not set the cap off. Look in the nose of that hammer. Sometimes it will hold on to caps. I have dug out as many as three thin slices of cap from inside the nose of the hammer.

I'm using #11 mag caps and the majority of them I need to dig out from the hammer.