Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Musket or #11 caps >

Musket or #11 caps

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Musket or #11 caps

Old 09-14-2011, 04:28 AM
Fork Horn

Default Musket or #11 caps

Which do you use/prefer and why? Thanks.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I mostly use #11 caps. One of the biggest reasons is because that's what most of my nipples and breech plugs are. Also the #11 caps are easier to find locally and they have done the job for me. I have also used the top hats with good results but not any better than the #11s so I don't see any reason to change over.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Musket caps for hunting, with them being much stronger there is less chance of a misfire.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:36 AM
Dominant Buck

It depends on the kind of rifle and the powder. If I am shooting LARGE powder charges I like a musket cap. Especially on an inline rifle. The straight ignition and the extra burst of flame from the musket cap helps to achieve a fast sure ignition.

In a traditional rifle, the simple #11 cap works fine. Normally the powder charges are not that large, its loose powder, and you are shooting moderate to light projectiles. The #11 also seems to help reduce the production of fouling and in a traditional, unlike an inline, fouling is harder to see and control. So I like to keep fouling minimal.

Both will work fine though. I have two rifles I use musket caps on, and that's because the manufacturer recommended it. I do have a number of rifles that "can" use musket cap ignition.

Also if you load with your fingers, in cold weather the musket cap is a little easier to get onto the nipple. But practice with the #11 caps and a capper and that's a mute point.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a buddy that swears by musket caps, but I've never tried them. I do know I despise the #11 caps, as I have an extremely high failure rate with them imo. I have a problem where sometimes the first shot it will just push it harder onto the nipple and won't go off, and I will have to c-o-c-k it and fire again for it to go off. I've tried changing the nipple, and made sure I have the primers seated, so I have no idea what could be the cause of it, but it's enough that's made me think about switching and trying musket caps. I haven't done it yet though.

Last edited by hometheaterman; 09-14-2011 at 06:05 AM.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Big Ol Gobbler
Which do you use/prefer and why? Thanks.

I use only #11 Mag caps... I tried to go with musket caps years ago but was not happy that I had to worry about them falling off the post or getting wet.

Doc White changed my mind for me when he suggested to use #11 Magnum caps on the UMag. The way they fit on his breech plug posts they are nearly water proof and do not fall off.

The Mag cap is just as hot as the Musket so you will get the heat you need, if you are getting the powder to the nipple. That was the main reason when I am shooting caps I use 3f powder.

Today... I am having a slight problem finding a nipple that the post is thick enough to hold the cap correctly. Cayugad, suggested trying some RWS nipples and those are on order, but the new Hot Shot - Red Hots, are not working well for me.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I always use the #11 mag caps on my sidelock. Ray
Old 09-14-2011, 08:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

All of mine are #11s also. I haven't see a need for Musket caps on any of my sidelocks.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

#11s here too. Work fine for me.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I put a musket cap ignition on my Knight MK-85. I shoot a heavy load, and a heavy cast conical. I think my rifle shoots better with the musket cap. I believe it is a tad faster(ignition), and more accurate, as well as the musket cap being more reliable.

I have no scientific proof of this. But I believe it to be true. Tom.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.