Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
I have a Question??? >

I have a Question???

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I have a Question???

Old 09-06-2011, 11:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default I have a Question???

Severasl of us are getting ready for a Muzzleloader season here in the Pacific Northwest where we are required to use a percussion cap or flinter...

In this preparation some have noted the new #11 nipples both Hot Shots and Red Hots do not grip the cap. Push it on tight and turn it upside down and the cap will fall off. They are NOT #10 nipples and a clearly labled #11..

We have found this to be occuring on new nipples. Older Hot Shots, #11 TC's, and Red Hots get a very tight grip on the cap.

Here is a couple of messages back and forth...

[quote author=BOOM!! link=topic=82657.msg1027267#msg1027267 date=1315011087]
I am using a brand new TC hot shot #11 cap nipple and I can't get the cap to stay on the nipple, it easy slids off. I have tried the cci's and the german ones and they both slid off no matter how hard I push on them. It's got to be the nipple right? Is there a better nipple out there?
[/quote]

Steve, I was doing some more research this morning working off your thought about #10 caps and their fit on the newer or loose nipples. Plus I dug out some of Doc White's #11 breech plugs which have always been suggested as being the tightest #11 cap posts on the market.
First..... #10 caps placed on the loose #11 nipples that I have which include newer - Hot Shots - Red Hots and some un-named others nipples that are loose. The #10 cap went on them snuggly and will not fall of at all. Really makes me think that manufactures have reduced the size of the post on the standard #11's to be a universal fit. Saves them making two different size nipples for #11 cap ignition.

Then just out of curiosity I tried the the #10's on the good number #11 nipples that I have. It was easy to tell that the #10's were really to tight on these good posts. It was really difficult to get them to even start on the White's.

Second.... Doc White's breech plugs which are built with the nipple as an integrated part of the breech plug. Doc has long held that with his BP's that you could hunt in the rain as the cap fits so tight on the nipple that water can not under and into the nipple to contaminate the cap or the powder.

The nipple on the far right is a Ampro Bronze #11

What are your thoughts about the fit of a #11 or even a #1075 cap fit on a nipple post.

It has been suggested that we the shooter have requested the nipples be reduced in size so that you can easily remove the cap with your fingers.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

You may be able to solve the problem by filing a smidgen off the top of the nipple to shorten it so the cap sits on a thicker part of the shaft.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:00 PM
Banned

yeah i always just go and fit my own nipple. I just put it in my drill press chuck and use a fine tooth file and let the machine spin the nipple as i lightly press the file against the nipple shaft. I havent found the perfect nipple yet.... well.... i have.... but thats a different kind
Old 09-06-2011, 12:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have ordered some Ampro Bronze nipples from Track of the Wolf... wondering how they might work.

Believe it or not not I have 18 #11 nipples excluding the ones already on guns... Of those 18 - 4 of them all older ones from years past actually hold the CCI and RWS nipples tightly. All of the ones on my Renegades which are the short TC nipples also work very well.

Semi, I understand your thought about taking some material off the top of the nipple to get it go down on the post further and will give that a shot. The problem when using them in a Knight Western Kit set up - I have very little room to work with before the hammer will not reach the cap.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

When I rescued that abused Remington 700ML (which is now in someone else's hands) it had a broken nipple. All of the nipples I had on hand were too short for the striker to contact. I had to order a nipple made for the Remington and it was indeed longer than any I had. One of those may do the job for you.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:45 PM
Dominant Buck

I purchase the RMC Sports stainless steel nipples and they seem to hold caps real well. In fact the RWS 1075 Dynamite Noble are hard to press on them if they get dirty.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by cayugad
I purchase the RMC Sports stainless steel nipples and they seem to hold caps real well. In fact the RWS 1075 Dynamite Noble are hard to press on them if they get dirty.

Thanks Dave, I ordered 3 of them
Old 09-06-2011, 02:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Semisane
When I rescued that abused Remington 700ML (which is now in someone else's hands) it had a broken nipple. All of the nipples I had on hand were too short for the striker to contact. I had to order a nipple made for the Remington and it was indeed longer than any I had. One of those may do the job for you.
Semi, where did you order the Rem nipples from?
Old 09-06-2011, 04:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Dave, didn't you suggest to me to apply a bit of candle wax around the nipple to help the cap stay in place and also to waterproof a bit?
Old 09-06-2011, 05:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Semi, where did you order the Rem nipples from?
I really don't recall Sabotloader. I tossed the receipt when I sold the gun. I know I had a hard time finding them and it wasn't from any of my regular sources like Midway, Track of Wolf, Midsouth, etc. I also remember paying something like $8 for a pack of two, and $10 shipping.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.