HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - I have a Question???
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2011, 11:35 AM
sabotloader
Boone & Crockett

Default I have a Question???

Severasl of us are getting ready for a Muzzleloader season here in the Pacific Northwest where we are required to use a percussion cap or flinter...

In this preparation some have noted the new #11 nipples both Hot Shots and Red Hots do not grip the cap. Push it on tight and turn it upside down and the cap will fall off. They are NOT #10 nipples and a clearly labled #11..

We have found this to be occuring on new nipples. Older Hot Shots, #11 TC's, and Red Hots get a very tight grip on the cap.

Here is a couple of messages back and forth...

[quote author=BOOM!! link=topic=82657.msg1027267#msg1027267 date=1315011087]
I am using a brand new TC hot shot #11 cap nipple and I can't get the cap to stay on the nipple, it easy slids off. I have tried the cci's and the german ones and they both slid off no matter how hard I push on them. It's got to be the nipple right? Is there a better nipple out there?
[/quote]

Steve, I was doing some more research this morning working off your thought about #10 caps and their fit on the newer or loose nipples. Plus I dug out some of Doc White's #11 breech plugs which have always been suggested as being the tightest #11 cap posts on the market.
First..... #10 caps placed on the loose #11 nipples that I have which include newer - Hot Shots - Red Hots and some un-named others nipples that are loose. The #10 cap went on them snuggly and will not fall of at all. Really makes me think that manufactures have reduced the size of the post on the standard #11's to be a universal fit. Saves them making two different size nipples for #11 cap ignition.

Then just out of curiosity I tried the the #10's on the good number #11 nipples that I have. It was easy to tell that the #10's were really to tight on these good posts. It was really difficult to get them to even start on the White's.

Second.... Doc White's breech plugs which are built with the nipple as an integrated part of the breech plug. Doc has long held that with his BP's that you could hunt in the rain as the cap fits so tight on the nipple that water can not under and into the nipple to contaminate the cap or the powder.

The nipple on the far right is a Ampro Bronze #11

What are your thoughts about the fit of a #11 or even a #1075 cap fit on a nipple post.

It has been suggested that we the shooter have requested the nipples be reduced in size so that you can easily remove the cap with your fingers.