Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Rem oil?

Old 09-02-2011, 01:29 PM
Fork Horn

Breakfree CLP or Ballistol!
Old 09-02-2011, 02:19 PM
GTD
Spike

Thanks for all the replies! Ill have to try a synthetic oil, after I run out of rem oil. Just bought some T/C No. 13, looking forward to trying after my next time out.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:07 AM
Fork Horn

T/C #13 appears to be nothing more than a combination of water with a small amount of water soluble oil. It is insanely priced for what it is. I used it many years ago, and it does a fair job of cleaning up black powder fouling, but is not very good as a rust preventative.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

EEZOX, is all i use in the bore. Rem Oil on the outside is fine.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use nothing but Ballistol for BP guns shooting BP or subs. Not counting BH 209. You never mentioned what powder you're using.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by GTD
Thanks for all the replies! Ill have to try a synthetic oil, after I run out of rem oil. Just bought some T/C No. 13, looking forward to trying after my next time out.
It really depends on which powder you are using...

Even then No. 13 really does nothing that you could not do with regular blue Windex.

If you are shooting BH - which is a modern smokeless, progressive burning powder - then i would suggest clean that as you do a quality centerfire gun. Probably would use much water based products at all.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:36 AM
GTD
Spike

Right now I use Pyodex pellets.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cant go wrong with Ballistol or Butch's gun oil.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use nothing but Ballistol for BP guns shooting BP or subs.
Muley How do you like Ballistol for BP guns? I bought my first can of Ballistol a couple of weeks ago but have not yet used it. I am curious about how it holds up with BP guns. From everything I have read the stuff is a miracle lube.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by RobertSubnet
Muley How do you like Ballistol for BP guns? I bought my first can of Ballistol a couple of weeks ago but have not yet used it. I am curious about how it holds up with BP guns. From everything I have read the stuff is a miracle lube.
I use it for everything on the gun. I clean the bore with soap and water and a little Ballistol added. I flush the soapy water in and out of the barrel with a patch. The breech end in a bucket. First the soapy water, and then clean hot water wit a pinch of Ballistol. Then dry patches to dry the barrel. I use the Ballistol in the water for two reasons. It keeps any flash rusting from starting from the hot water. second it puts a very slight lube in the breech channel. It keeps rust from forming in it.

After cleaning the barrel I use straight Ballistol to keep it from rusting. I do run a dry patch down the bore before shooting, but unlike some other lubes. It's not critical to get it all out, because it can also be used as a patch lube. It won't hard foul with BP like some other lube.

I also use it to lube the action in the gun. Lock, trigger etc. It doesn't gum up, and keeps everything rust free and working smooth.

Last..I lube the outside of the gun. The barrel gets it, but also the wood. I put it on pretty heavy on the wood and let it sit for a few days. Then wipe off what hasn't soaked in and it looks like I refinished it.

Basically, it's all I need to take care of a traditional muzzleloader.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.