Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
had me curious after seeing SL's post so, >

had me curious after seeing SL's post so,

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.
View Poll Results: which INLINE is your go to hunting weapon
CVA
12.50%
Knight
29.69%
Remington
1.56%
Savage10ml
0%
T/C
42.19%
White
9.38%
Other
4.69%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

had me curious after seeing SL's post so,

Old 09-03-2011, 05:04 PM
Typical Buck

i like my black diamond xr...not too hard to clean, simple.....I bought my brother a black diamond to hunt with me this fall its not the xr we'll be in the woods I'll have my sidelocks in the woods
Old 09-03-2011, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
really grouse? The Bergara will shoot both sabots and conicals a lot better and plus the bores actually have a sizing limit unlike the factory bore thats all over the place.
The grooves have been inconsistent in machining. You can get a really good one, then you can get a bad one. I'm not familiar enough with them to know whether it's a QC problem or not??? It was a very big topic at the NRA show. I have not seen or witnessed any of this information. But i did listen to the supposed big shots on TV about it.

I have shot $25.00 CVA barrels that shot 3/4 groups at 100yds. I have also shot $500.00 CVA'S that wouldn't shoot better then 2 inches. I actually owned some older Knight Extremes that was the same way. I never believed all barrels are the same.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:36 PM
Fork Horn

I can only vouch for my TC Omega because I don't own any other right now. But the gun will spank mountain oysters at 100 yards.

Thats all I need to know.

D
Old 09-04-2011, 07:10 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Grouse45
The grooves have been inconsistent in machining. You can get a really good one, then you can get a bad one. I'm not familiar enough with them to know whether it's a QC problem or not??? It was a very big topic at the NRA show. I have not seen or witnessed any of this information. But i did listen to the supposed big shots on TV about it.

I have shot $25.00 CVA barrels that shot 3/4 groups at 100yds. I have also shot $500.00 CVA'S that wouldn't shoot better then 2 inches. I actually owned some older Knight Extremes that was the same way. I never believed all barrels are the same.
Did I ruin my Pro Hunter???
http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=469
Old 09-05-2011, 08:28 AM
Typical Buck

The rifleing must be cut right in this .270 Encore Bergara barrel. Shot this morning with factory Federal 130gr Barnes Triple Shocks at 100yds.

Old 09-05-2011, 03:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Omega45

If it was good, you wouldn't ask. Send it back, you might get a better one.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:46 PM
Typical Buck

What I am saying is I have 3 Encore Bergara barrels and they all shoot! I take what the so called Pro's say very lightly. I not only listen but I buy and test and reach my own conclusions.

From what little I have seen of the new Knight Mountaineer I am not impressed. Primers sticking, bolts not closing, sending wrong bolt/bp with gun. I have yet to see one 100yd group from anyone on here who "bought" one.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

What I am saying is I have 3 Encore Bergara barrels and they all shoot! I take what the so called Pro's say very lightly. I not only listen but I buy and test and reach my own conclusions.

From what little I have seen of the new Knight Mountaineer I am not impressed. Primers sticking, bolts not closing, sending wrong bolt/bp with gun. I have yet to see one 100yd group from anyone on here who "bought" one.
Buy what you want and shoot what you want.

What does a Knight Mountaineer have to do with a Bergara barrel? If you don't like what you see or hear then don't buy one. Isn't that the obvious thing to do?

FYI- Did you ever wonder why T/C made a fixed barrel Pro-hunter?

BTW- It's impossible to send a wrong bolt with a Mountaineer. And i know of none of the information you are saying. So it's obvious, you don't find out info on your own and you listen to others or make up stories for attention.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

From what little I have seen of the new Knight Mountaineer I am not impressed. Primers sticking, bolts not closing, sending wrong bolt/bp with gun.
Actually probably should thank you for bringing up those problems and they were problems. But:

If you would go back and read the later posts I think you would find that the individual told us that he was loading the primer wrong and then crushing it in the primer pocket. He did not know that were rails in the nose of the bolt the primer was suppose to go in. And of course that would also not allow the both to close. Once in awhile operator error needs to be considered.

I do not remember anyone saying that got the wrong bolt/bp so you must have read that one someplace else, so I am unable to comment on that one. But it does seem like it would be awful tough to do since the bolts are different for the Extreme and the Mountaineer.

The only thing I remember is Knight sending a new bolt and BP to the individual that was not placing the primer in the bolt correctly, hoping that would cure the problem he was reporting.

+ all three of these problems were fixed when the poster was shown how to load primers in a Mountaineer... Had it been an Extreme it would have worked great.

I have yet to see one 100yd group from anyone on here who "bought" one.
I would be my guess they will start showing up as the folks that have them start shooting them. Of course then you have to wonder how many of the ones that have em, belong to one of these forums???

Last edited by sabotloader; 09-05-2011 at 05:53 PM.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:42 PM
mountaineer magic

I guess I will try to get a 100 yard group from the Mountaineer just for you.I have 7 Encore barrels and they are all shooters.I have 1 Bergara barrel and it shoots Ok but the rifling came so rough that when cleaning it it left little pieces of patching in the rifling.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.