Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
New Barrel: clean before shooting? >

New Barrel: clean before shooting?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New Barrel: clean before shooting?

Old 09-01-2011, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default New Barrel: clean before shooting?

Have a friend that had a problem with his old T/C renegade barrel and ended up ordering a new Green Mt barrel sidelock dropin barrel. 1:28 twist. Will arrive tomorrow. We leave for our hunt next week!

Shouldn't he clean it before he takes it out the first time to get all oil residues out?

What is the best thing to use? TIA
Old 09-01-2011, 02:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Clean it. Make sure there is no packing grease in the bore. You can just use clean dry patches until they come out with no grease on them and then a light coat of oil as you would after a regular cleaning. That's how I do it. I think there might be someone with a better method though.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by txhunter58
Have a friend that had a problem with his old T/C renegade barrel and ended up ordering a new Green Mt barrel sidelock dropin barrel. 1:28 twist. Will arrive tomorrow. We leave for our hunt next week!

Shouldn't he clean it before he takes it out the first time to get all oil residues out?

What is the best thing to use? TIA
I would certainly say YES!

Use a good bore cleaner like Barnes CR-10, Butches Bore Shine, Montana X-treme Bore Cleaner. Wipe it in the bore liberally and let it work for the recommended time. Then clean it out and complete the barrel cleaning process as you normally would.

Personally myself I would also run some JB Bore Paste through the barrel to remove any tooling marks and burrs...
Old 09-01-2011, 03:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

definately clean it. I would use a good bore solvent then a degreaser or alcohol followed by a couple passes of gun oil.
But swab again with alcohol patch before you shoot it.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys! Also, I am concerned he might have to adjust his hammer to the new barrel. He is currently shooting musket caps. What are the odds he has to bend his hammer a little to get the caps to go boom?
Old 09-01-2011, 03:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by txhunter58
Thanks guys! Also, I am concerned he might have to adjust his hammer to the new barrel. He is currently shooting musket caps. What are the odds he has to bend his hammer a little to get the caps to go boom?
It just might work... Both of mine do but I did move the barrel a bit on one of them - not much...
Old 09-01-2011, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had no problem with the hammer striking the nipple properly with my Green Mountain drop in replacement barrel. No adjustments were necessary.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:22 PM
Dominant Buck

Not only should he clean it, but he needs to work up a good load for it. The hammer should work just fine.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep! 54 caliber, hornady Great plains 425, pyrodex select! I'm not worried, he has a whole 5 days to work up a load! I told him to start at 80 gr of powder and work up.

Last edited by txhunter58; 09-01-2011 at 04:44 PM.