Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
I'm Really Sick!!! >

I'm Really Sick!!!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I'm Really Sick!!!

Old 08-21-2011, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't konw how you did it. But if you just pushed the bullet down that far and then no more, then you shot it, and the barrel bulged?? The recoil would have been horrendous. You definitely would have noticed the difference the second you touched off the shot.

Be careful with that. If it bulged then it is definitely weakened. No way I would shoot it again. Especially an import.

I do not wish to question the experts. But I can't see how BP coud have that much pressure to do that?? Especially with a conical?? That far down the barrel?? I bet there was a problem there to start with. And doing that just exacerbated it. Tom.

Last edited by HEAD0001; 08-21-2011 at 07:36 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Got to disagree with you there HEAD. Recoil from a short start is less than a normal load. If the projectile exits the barrel the shot usually sounds a little funny with less report than normal. (Personal experience.) And BP can not only bulge a barrel, but split it as well.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Question

Originally Posted by HEAD0001
I don't konw how you did it. But if you just pushed the bullet down that far and then no more, then you shot it, and the barrel bulged?? The recoil would have been horrendous. You definitely would have noticed the difference the second you touched off the shot.

Be careful with that. If it bulged then it is definitely weakened. No way I would shoot it again. Especially an import.

I do not wish to question the experts. But I can't see how BP coud have that much pressure to do that?? Especially with a conical?? That far down the barrel?? I bet there was a problem there to start with. And doing that just exacerbated it. Tom.
You may be right Tom. I was using Goex 2F and was using 60 to 85 grs during my shooting session. I did think of calling customer service for Cabalas and see what they could do for me.

I am a little concerned about the idea of the barrel being weakened. But it is a very thick walled barrel and I think that is what may have helped me not get hurt.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Thought I would throw this out there real quick. I called Cabalas and they are going to see if they can do a special order from Investarms and will call me back in a few days. So this looks like I may be in business, but will not keep my hopes too high. Will keep all appraised on this situation.

If this works I will be surprised and grateful.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
Got to disagree with you there HEAD. Recoil from a short start is less than a normal load. If the projectile exits the barrel the shot usually sounds a little funny with less report than normal. (Personal experience.) And BP can not only bulge a barrel, but split it as well.

If you are saying there is less recoil then there must be less pressure??. And with less pressure, how could the barrel have bulged?? The only way the barrel could have bulged is with a pressure spike. And a pressure spike gives considerable recoil. I have experience with pressure spikes.

Are you saying the barrel bulged with lower pressure?? I don't see how that is possible??

But if it is possible then I definitely would never shoot that barrel again.

There is definitely something wrong. And IMO safety is always JOB 1. And really there is only one job-and that is safety.

We are talking about a $200 barrel. Not nearly enough for me to risk an accident with. Regardless of how well it shoots. Just an opinion. Tom.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have never had this happen to me but I have talked to people who have shot a short started load and buldged a barrel. They did not get a bigger recoil but the main thing they said was that it sounded funny. Then they noticed the buldge when loading their next load.
I know its second hand information but its all I have.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

My first thought when I saw this was a short start but the first post kinda excluded that...I've never seen such a long, short starter...

Hopefully Cabelas will come through for you...
Old 08-23-2011, 04:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by HEAD0001
If you are saying there is less recoil then there must be less pressure??..................................
Newton say the amount of recoil is determined by the amount of mass leaving the barrel, and the speed at which it leaves.

Newton say the amount of recoil is determined by the amount of mass leaving the barrel, and the speed at which it leaves.

Pressure isn't part of the equation.

The short started bullet will have less speed, because it has less time, less distance, being pushed. Same mass, less speed; less recoil.

Physics say recoil will be less, when bullet is short started.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am on vacation this week sorry for the slow reply. I sent you a PM. In short I will send the barrel for you to try out. Ron
Old 08-27-2011, 05:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Angry

Originally Posted by rafsob
Thought I would throw this out there real quick. I called Cabalas and they are going to see if they can do a special order from Investarms and will call me back in a few days. So this looks like I may be in business, but will not keep my hopes too high. Will keep all appraised on this situation.

If this works I will be surprised and grateful.
Cabalas called back and told me what I thought they would. They can't help me, because the company is in Italy. This pisses me off! Why sell a gun they can't service in anyway!!! They should be upfront with customers on this issue. Did have an issue with a head light that was made in China. It was still under warranty. They ended up giving a new light. Now that the Hawkens is not under warranty anymore, I am Schmidt out of luck!!!

Now I am back to plan whatever!!!

Last edited by rafsob; 08-27-2011 at 05:32 AM.