Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

shot cards

Old 08-09-2011, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default shot cards

The shot cards i bought have a flat side and a concaved side,which is the powder side? i tried wads in my old renegade once and saw no improvement in accuracy and both sides were flat lol?i bought these for use with hotter powders like 777 loose. Ray
Old 08-09-2011, 04:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by builder459
The shot cards i bought have a flat side and a concaved side,which is the powder side? i tried wads in my old renegade once and saw no improvement in accuracy and both sides were flat lol?i bought these for use with hotter powders like 777 loose. Ray
Gees Ray, I have never seen something like that. I use the the flat .510x.125 shot cards in my side hammers - not necessarily for accuracy but to insulate the bottom of the lead Bull Shop from the heat of the T7 and + it keeps the lube from contaminating the powder on warmer days...

Where did you get them?
Old 08-09-2011, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Gees Ray, I have never seen something like that. I use the the flat .510x.125 shot cards in my side hammers - not necessarily for accuracy but to insulate the bottom of the lead Bull Shop from the heat of the T7 and + it keeps the lube from contaminating the powder on warmer days...

Where did you get them?
from track the wolf,they are the .510x1.25 shot cards. made by circle fly.and these are not exactly flat on both sides, they all have a concaved or slightly cupped side to them. i didn't buy them for acccuracy,but for use of hotter powders.i tried was years ago in the rene to see if accuracy would improve and the wads were totally flat. when i saw these i was a bit shocked lol.Ray
Old 08-09-2011, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mike maybe it's caused from the punch pressure when they make them. WAD-510-A. Ray
Old 08-09-2011, 05:22 PM
Banned

could be from the punch but i'd put the concave side down and see if its a cup to help it expand in the bore.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
could be from the punch but i'd put the concave side down and see if its a cup to help it expand in the bore.
jon, the more i look at them the more i believe it's from caused from the punch. i was thinking the same thing..i have 1000 of them lol. if you need some to try with conicals and BH209, let me know..Ray
Old 08-09-2011, 05:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by builder459
Mike maybe it's caused from the punch pressure when they make them. WAD-510-A. Ray
Correct that is the one that I buy also... so your pessure punch thought might be right on the money..

Just a sec...

Just looked at my new bag - I think i do have just a slight cup in them.

Those are excellent shot cards though anyway they have been for me.

I would probably load then up so that the flat base of the bullet would push down on the wad - probably makes absolutely no difference..
Old 08-09-2011, 05:54 PM
Dominant Buck

I get mine from Flintlock Inc. And they are felt. I really like them. I also sometimes make my own with a hollow hole punch and construction felt.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Correct that is the one that I buy also... so your pessure punch thought might be right on the money..

Just a sec...

Just looked at my new bag - I think i do have just a slight cup in them.

Those are excellent shot cards though anyway they have been for me.

I would probably load then up so that the flat base of the bullet would push down on the wad - probably makes absolutely no difference..
I'll try them both ways lol.. Thanks.. Ray
Old 08-09-2011, 06:02 PM
Typical Buck

I would load the flatter side down against the powder with the cupped side facing up. They may load easier this way too.
But loading it both ways could be tried easily enough.

Last edited by arcticap; 08-09-2011 at 06:05 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.