Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
I Bought A New One. >

I Bought A New One.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I Bought A New One.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default I Bought A New One.

Some of you know how much I fight with myself for using an inline. I've said I wasn't going to use one in the past, and then buy another one. I'm going to try one more time.

So, to treat myself for such a fine decision. I bought what I wanted to buy for quite awhile. A Lyman GPR flint left hand. My plans for it.

Davis trigger

Defarb and brown the barrel.

Reshape and refinish the stock.

Primitive sights.

It would be nice to get a LH in a kit, but they don't make one, so I have to do it this way. The best part is I found one that's cheaper than the kit.

Midsouth has always been the place to buy Lymans for a good price. They want $401 for a kit, and $502 for a complete gun.

I found the complete gun built for $389, and only $5.00 shipping. That's my kind of deal.

I'll be using the gun for primitive shoots and rendezvous. Everything I use to shoot, load, and wear will be PC. I have most of it made already. Let the smoke begin.

btw The Wolf, scope, and gun case will be going up for sale. It's a real good shooter.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Muley - I have to check but my local gun shop has a Lyman percussion GPR in lefty. I've had my eye on it for a while being a fellow lefty. Its brand new and he has had it for a while. I believe he has a tag of $300 on it. That's a pretty decent price.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:30 PM
Banned

keep the Wolf, its cheap enough to have around!

Did you get the 50 or 54?
Old 08-09-2011, 12:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Muley - I have to check but my local gun shop has a Lyman percussion GPR in lefty. I've had my eye on it for a while being a fellow lefty. Its brand new and he has had it for a while. I believe he has a tag of $300 on it. That's a pretty decent price.
Good price is right. It's way below cost. I know this, because I asked the guy I bought mine from how he can sell it so cheap. He said he just wants to move them out, and is selling them cheaper than he buy them for now. So, $300 is a steal for a new one.

I'm excited about this gun, because it will be my first flintlock. I've always wanted one.

I probably shouldn't have told Claude to ban me from his forum. Oh well.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
keep the Wolf, its cheap enough to have around!

Did you get the 50 or 54?
I got the .50 for the heavier barrel. All my shooting will be offhand with open sights. I figure the heavy barrel will be easier to hold steady. If I do hunt with it. It be only for deer, and the .50 will be fine.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Don't order that Davis trigger yet Muley. You may like what you get just fine. The factory trigger on my GP is pretty darn good.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:05 PM
Dominant Buck

The trigger on my Great Plains Hunter flintlock is excellent. And the lock is super fast.

Congratulations on a great rifle.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

I can say that about the TC trigger. I thought the GPR wasn't that good? This will be mostly a target gun. I need a nice crisp trigger.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by cayugad
The trigger on my Great Plains Hunter flintlock is excellent. And the lock is super fast.

Congratulations on a great rifle.

I'll give it a try. I was going by another forum. Almost all of them say change the trigger. We'll see how it feels first.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:17 PM
Banned

they can have a good deal of grit to them but if you're handy at polishing, you can clean it up a great deal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.