Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

1st Muzzleloader

Old 08-07-2011, 06:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

You have good pellets and bad pellets.

Elk crap the good pellets, because you know elk are in the area.

The bad pellets are the ones that go down your bore.

They both have something in common................They both stink.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
If I had that rifle and was headed to my range, I would first try..

Pyrodex RS 100 grain
250 grain Shockwaves black included sabot
Winchester W209 primers

swab between shots with Windex and see how it shoots. Once you have a good solid load down.. then you can experiment
That's what I would try also. Good advice. That is what I shoot out of my Omega and it loves that load. I use two 50gr. T7 pellets. The only difference in mine is I use the vari-flame primer adapters and small pistol primers. Although this year I may use some of the lighter 209's.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:55 PM
GTD
Spike

I picked up my t/c impact today; surprisingly Cabela's did not have some of the suggested products. After some thought and talking to a guy behind the counter I decided on the following. Hornady SST 250gr, Winchester triple seven 209 primers, and pyrodex 50/50 pellets. I’ll see how this combination works out. Once I get comfortable with it, I might try loose powder, but for now the pellets just seem easier.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:59 PM
Banned

that should do for starting out. The 777 primers with pyrodex pellets may offer a second or 3rd shot without having to swab between shots. Mark your ramrod before you attempt it though. Just a safety rule so you know your bullet is pushed all the way on top of the powder charge.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I really like the Fusion brand of primers, but I also like the Winchester W209 primers, and you probably pay extra for the name on the Fusion ones.

For bullets, I'd try out the Speer Deep Curls. I prefer the 300 grain ones, but I haven't tried the SST's yet. I'd like to.

For powder, I like Pyrodex, both in powder and pellet form. My old Genesis for some reason hated Pyrodex loose powder, but loved the pellets, but on the other hand other rifles I've shot them in, I couldn't tell a difference other than the pellets being over double the price per shot.