Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Nipple for a Knight >

Nipple for a Knight

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Nipple for a Knight

Old 07-31-2011, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Nipple for a Knight

I know I have been a bit skeptical about the BH-209 powder. But Muley sent me a link that changed my mind about the powder. So I have one more question before I try the BH-209 powder.

I have a Knight LRH. It is a standard factory rifle(not from the new guys). Mine has the disc system. Is there any special nipple or breech plug that I need to get good consistent ignition from the BH-209?? Or is what I alrady have sufficient??

I ask this because I have seen you guys talking up all the different breech plugs. So I was truly wondering if I need an upgraded breech plug or nipple??

You guys have been telling me about this new BH-209. But I have been reluctant to believe what you are saying. But it looks like I was probably wrong about this powder. So I have decided to give it a chance. Thanks, Tom.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:48 PM
Typical Buck

Isn't all knights open breech plugs? I maybe wrong but if yours is open BH209 wont work. Gotta be closed.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by HEAD0001
I know I have been a bit skeptical about the BH-209 powder. But Muley sent me a link that changed my mind about the powder. So I have one more question before I try the BH-209 powder.

I have a Knight LRH. It is a standard factory rifle(not from the new guys). Mine has the disc system. Is there any special nipple or breech plug that I need to get good consistent ignition from the BH-209?? Or is what I alrady have sufficient??

I ask this because I have seen you guys talking up all the different breech plugs. So I was truly wondering if I need an upgraded breech plug or nipple??

You guys have been telling me about this new BH-209. But I have been reluctant to believe what you are saying. But it looks like I was probably wrong about this powder. So I have decided to give it a chance. Thanks, Tom.
Your LRH will shoot BH real well with the existing breeck plug setup, either FPJ or NFPJ. The newer Lehigh breech plugs just make it cleaner and more reliable over many shots...

Assuming it is not a Orange plastic jacket..
Old 07-31-2011, 04:50 PM
Dominant Buck

I shot blackhorn 209 out of my original disc with the orange primer jackets and it worked perfect.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

My LRH shoots the red discs. And I have a bunch of them. But if I needed a new nipple or breech plug I would still get it.

Sabot thanks for your reply. But you have way too many abbreviations in it for me to truly understand what you are saying. Tom.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by HEAD0001
My LRH shoots the red discs. And I have a bunch of them. But if I needed a new nipple or breech plug I would still get it.

Sabot thanks for your reply. But you have way too many abbreviations in it for me to truly understand what you are saying. Tom.
OK - try this one...

Your LRH will shoot BH real well with the existing Knight breech plug setup, either the Full Plastic Jacket (red ones) FPJ or Non-Full Plastic Jackets (NFPJ) which really is saying bare primer breech plug with a primer adapter.

The newer Lehigh breech plugs just make it cleaner and more reliable over many shots...

You could get one, a Lehigh/Knight NFPJ breech plug and primer adapter, from Knight - but in a LRH there is no guarantee that they will fit as designed. The LRH series of guns had some wide tolerances between the bolt and the barrel flange. But on most occasions they work well.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by cayugad
I shot blackhorn 209 out of my original disc with the orange primer jackets and it worked perfect.
It does work with BH but if he wanted to switch to the newer Lehigh type conversion the Orange Plastic Jacket bolt will not work with the conversion..
Old 07-31-2011, 06:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

I used the red FPJ and BH209 with average success. It just required more attention to the plug cleaning. I added a Lehigh version of the non FPJ to a LRH and it fit perfect but some might need minor fitting. I tried mine with 3 different bolts and they all worked including the jeweled version.

I dont think the Knight version states that about the LRH but i could be wrong. The one on Lehighs site did list some DISCs versions might not fit.

From Knights website

* Converts Knight Rifles that use a Full Plastic Jacket to utilize a bare 209 Primer
* Fits: Extreme, Long Range Hunter

Last edited by Gm54-120; 07-31-2011 at 06:35 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:14 AM
Typical Buck

I have shot BH209 out of my Green Mountain 54-120 with the red FPJ's and the concave breech plug. Not many though as it was dirty so I switched to the old Knight NFPJ breech plug which had a convex head (bad design for BH209 IMO, but it was designed for T7 or Pyrodex). It worked pretty good until it got cold and gave me a fizzle fire while unloading it on a tree after a morning hunt. I now have the new Knight/Lehigh NFPJ plug in the gun. I have yet to fire it but know it will give excellent ignition. One thing BH209 likes is a pretty snug fitting bullet/sabot combo. If the bullet/sabot slides down with finger pressure you may have ignition problems. A snug fiting sabot/bullet and leaning on the ramrod to compress the charge will result in a "boom" as long as you keep the flash channel decarboned.

This is the set up if you want the NFPJ to shoot bare primers and keep the action pretty much spotless. Probably the best way to go with your gun as if you have a laminated stock it will keep the wood clean in the action area. Not sure if anyone posted the link for you, $42.00+shipping.
http://www.knightrifles.com/209-conv...-plug-M900044/
Old 08-01-2011, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thank you for the link. I looked at the picture on the link. I realize how to use the breech plug. But what is the other piece?? An extension or add on to your bolt?? Tom.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.