Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Will Conicals Wear Out Barrels Faster? >

Will Conicals Wear Out Barrels Faster?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Will Conicals Wear Out Barrels Faster?

Old 06-04-2011, 05:35 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
Over 3,000 shots in an Accura. Over 2,000 through my Optima = No kinds of wear. Thors still load up with the same amount of pressure.
Which is fine. But like I said it depends on the centerfire load and the caliber. For the average guy u'll never see it. However when your dealing with WildCat calibers its a different story. I have a friend that shoots nothing but wildcats and you can clearly see the barrel wear down. Even pro shooters will replace barrels every year. Just depends what you shoot and how you shoot it. For most of us on the fourm we will never see the day a barrel is worn out from us shooting it.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:48 PM
Banned

I thought the subject was muzzle loaders?

I dont ever plan on seeing a worn out barrel on any of my guns. You treat them well, clean them up and they'll last a life time.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:42 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by arcticap
Will firing a lot of conical bullets cause a barrel to wear out faster?
How much faster and why?
I have my own opinion but like to hear what others have to say.
I don't believe that firing conicals will completely wear out a barrel anytime soon. But there will always be some degree of wear no matter how small for a variety of reasons.
I've tried to look into it from an objective standpoint.
I have found mention of some of the different barrel steels used and their qualities.
Some traditional guns are made with softer steel because it's less brittle and more forgiving to the tooling.
There can be wear at different ends of the bore caused by different reasons.
At first the rifling can lose its "gilt edge".
Each conical can have different dimensions in relation to bore size.
Mad Monk mentioned that,
Back in the mid-1980's Sam Fadala wrote several articles titled "The Patch Is Not A Gasket".

The wearing away of the metal involves very hot gases loaded with incandescent solid particles blowing around the patched ball or the elongated projectile as it first begins to move in the bore.

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/...?topic=5166.15
And in an article about paper patching ML conicals Bob Schewe mentioned:

In my .54, it was like night and day, as to accuracy of patched vs un-patched. Velocity increased likewise by about 100'/sec, but in fairness possibly pressure was up also, due to better initial seal of bullet in barrel. I believe as others have stated in print, there are many advantages to using the paper patched bullet, over the basic grease groove style. Accuracy, velocity, lower barrel wear, less critical lead alloy requirement, are some points that I like.
http://members.shaw.ca/bobschewe/
And I have found mention of solid powder residue that's left in the barrel as having been confirmed to cause wear.

A barrel is only going to wear in the range of .0001 at a time which isn't going to be noticeable to anyone except those with specialized equipment. That's just slightly different than saying that there isn't going to be any wear at all. But what I guess can be fair to say is that every gun will wear differently based on a variety of factors.
There are folks that are still firing conicals in Civil War era guns. Of course they aren't shot out and their steel isn't even as modern as we have today.

Here's an interesting quote from Lilja barrels:

...These numbers are based on the use of stainless steel barrels. For chrome-moly barrels I would reduce these by roughly 20%.

The .17 and .50 calibers are rules unto themselves and I'm pressed to predict a figure.

The best life can be expected from the 22 long rifle barrels with 5000-10,000 accurate rounds to be expected. We have in our shop one our drop-in Anschutz barrels that has 200,000 rounds through it and the shooter, a competitive small-bore shooter reported that it had just quit shooting.

Remember that predicting barrel life is a complicated, highly variable subject. You are the best judge of this with your particular barrel. Signs of accurate barrel life on the wane are increased copper fouling, lengthened throat depth, and decreased accuracy....

http://www.riflebarrels.com/faq_lilj...htm#advantages
No one except the most discriminating competition shooter would think that their .22 barrel could lose accuracy after only 5,000 - 10,000 rounds. But I guess that there really are different concepts about wear.

Last edited by arcticap; 06-05-2011 at 01:09 AM.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:30 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
I thought the subject was muzzle loaders?

I dont ever plan on seeing a worn out barrel on any of my guns. You treat them well, clean them up and they'll last a life time.
True, my bad. But that does show that it takes a hell of alot of pressure and speed to wear down a barrel. Something that most muzzleloaders if not all can not achive.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:34 AM
Fork Horn

how true

Originally Posted by cayugad
I would be more worried about scratching the barrel with a ramrod or short starter causing damage to the barrel. Bore Guides on ramrods are a must..