Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Dang it's HOT!

Old 06-01-2011, 08:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Dang it's HOT!

Just came in from the back yard. Took the dog out for her last pee of the night. Glanced at the thermometer on the patio and it showed 88 degrees - 11:30 at night!

I've been dying to try Liquid Wrench as a patch lube in the .58 Hawken and planned to head to the hunting lease Friday evening for weekend range session. Looks like it'll be a "Shoot & Sweat" session. It just may be the last one until Fall (if I can hold out that long ).

EDIT: Somebody go shoot something! We haven't had a good range report in a while.

Last edited by Semisane; 06-01-2011 at 09:24 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:58 PM
Dominant Buck

They have frost warnings out in parts of my area tonight. Enjoy the heat.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

The real feel is supposed to be over 105 here for the next 4 days. Globel warming?
Old 06-02-2011, 07:15 AM
Banned

Went to denver yesterday, holy mother! Stopped for gas in Pueblo, im not kidding you, you just about melted as soon as you got out of the truck. Of course thats normal for Pueblo LOL.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:48 AM
Fork Horn

Thats about where we were last night Semisane, I told my wife that I am not spending the rest of my life down here in the wind and heat so when she retires from the USAF we might be moving somewhere up North.As a kid I dont remember the heat and wind getting this out of control.Today it is going to be 101 degrees with high humidity, I am looking so foward to that.Speaking of range reports I thought MountainDevil54 had a new rifle coming maybe he is holding out on us!!!!

Jason

Last edited by donjose; 06-02-2011 at 07:51 AM.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
Went to denver yesterday, holy mother! Stopped for gas in Pueblo, im not kidding you, you just about melted as soon as you got out of the truck. Of course thats normal for Pueblo LOL.
It's suppose to be 100 degrees in Pueblo today.

It will be 75 here.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:34 AM
Dominant Buck

Its 68 degrees here with a nice light wind. Just about perfect for being outside. That is until the mosquitoes find you. I sprayed myself down real well and spent a cool morning on the range for a few hours. It was nice to get out and shoot again.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Cayugad, we don't have much of a mosquito problem in the pine woods at the hunting lease (too dry). But they can get real bad in the swamps and salt marsh. Also, the gnats get so bad at certain times of the year in the marsh you just can't tolerate them.

I hate slathering myself with bug juice. Last year we discovered those mosquito coils that release Pyrethrum when burned work great for the gnats - keeps them totally away. We put the coils in little stainless steel bowels, one in the front of the boat and one at the stern and fish gnat free. Last year we were on a really good bite of "Specks" (Spotted Sea Trout) and "Reds" (Red Drum) in the marsh South East of New Orleans when a boat with three guys pulled up near us. Seeing the action we were getting, they asked if they could work their way toward the cut in the marsh we were fishing. Naturally, we said "sure". They did, and caught a few fish but couldn't stand the gnat swarm. They kept spraying themselves with repellant, but to no avail. They lasted about fifteen minutes then cranked up their motor and headed for open water. I guess we should have told them about the mosquito coils but their sudden departure caught us off guard.

Anyway, you might want to try one of those coils on your shooting bench.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:42 PM
Dominant Buck

are they under some brand name like OFF or do you just look for the coils?
Old 06-02-2011, 01:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

They're sold by OFF and Coleman. Usually available at WalMart in the camping or outdoor cooking department.

OFF has a new clip-on personal protection device that doesn't burn like the coils, but has a little fan in a clip on unit. I haven't tried it yet, but will sure pick up one when I see it in a store. See the video here. http://www.off.com/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.