Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Talk to me...Knight Mountainer or TC pro hunter >

Talk to me...Knight Mountainer or TC pro hunter

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Talk to me...Knight Mountainer or TC pro hunter

Old 05-31-2011, 06:06 PM
Spike

Default Talk to me...Knight Mountainer or TC pro hunter

Been out of the muzzleloader game for a long time and looking to get one here really soon. The new Knight Mountainer and the TC pro hunter are the ones im considering. Any opinions on these guns??
Old 05-31-2011, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Dedduc
Been out of the muzzleloader game for a long time and looking to get one here really soon. The new Knight Mountainer and the TC pro hunter are the ones im considering. Any opinions on these guns??
I am A T/C fan myself, but wouldn't ever pay what they want for the pro hunter. the mountaineer is a much better option for a rifle in that price range. they scream quality! Ray
Old 05-31-2011, 06:32 PM
Fork Horn

they are both great products from great companies. They are made in America to boot. I don't think you could go wrong either way.

I have used Knights for years. I love them and am glad that they are back in business.

Making the choice is half the fun!

Good luck.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:38 PM
Typical Buck

I would pick Knight.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Dedduc
Since you are considering a Knight mountaineer you don't care if it's strictly a Muzzleloader. First off, the Triumph is a way better choice over the Pro hunter. Better made, more accurate, better trigger right out of the box.

The Mountaineer is a bolt gun and very accurate like the triumph. The Mountaineer does have better stock. It seems like a much better coating then weathershield. The Mountaineer does have a better trigger and adjustable. The Mountaineer is also Bh209 compatible with out having to do anything special.

The Mountaineer really wins in about every category except length. Knight chose a 27" barrel. The Triumph or pro-hunter is more compact of a gun. Of course they are break actions as well. The Mountaineer is a lot cheaper then a Pro-hunter and a little more then a Triumph.

Both guns will last a Life time, i would buy the one you like best. I own all three and the Mountaineer would easily be at the top. Pretty hard to ask anyone who does not have a Mountaineer. Maybe you should wait till more guys get them this month.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well I have to agree with Grouse on the Triumph being the best pure muzzleloader, I have the Endeavor and while I love it and shoot it a lot dollar for dollar and considering everything the Triumph is better unless you want to be able to change barrels that that Pro Hunter and Endeavor excel in. Of course there are a few who are hung up on bolts and if you must have a bolt then Knight is the one to get.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:32 AM
Typical Buck

I have all the muzzleloaders mentioned above, I believe.. The Triumph is a shooter however I do not care for the stock, maybe the Triumph Bone Collector feels better?

TC Encore Pro Hunter: Bought two frames and barrels seperately, one .50 Bergara Encore barrel, one .50 Bergara Encore barrel and a .45 Encore barrel. The Bergara's in my book are top notch barrels that just take minor tweeking. The Pro Hunters have a very heavy trigger where the standard Encores I have shot have very nice triggers. For the Pro Hunters its an easy trigger fix with a Bellm #3 spring and you have a nice 2.75-3lb pull. The Pro Hunters are also nice because you have the option to buy a rifle, shotgun or rimfire barrel.

One muzzleloader that was not mentioned that I feel needs mentioned is the TC Omega. I have the .45 and did have the .50, both with laminated thumbhole stocks. They both are/were excellent shooters and very easy to clean. I handled the Omega Dream Season and it shouldered great, never shot one though.

I have/had Knights which required Lehigh plugs for ignition with Blackhorn 209 but are/were great shooters. The Mountaineer comes with a Lehigh plug already and Grouses groups show it's a great shooter.

Here is the best thing I can tell you to do.............hit Bass Pro or Cabelas and handle a few. See which one you like the best, fits you best and is in your price range. They will not have the Mountaineer though.

After handling a few and narrowing it down check the classifieds on the various forums. Great deals can be found from time to time.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:11 AM
Fork Horn

Had a pro hunter and got rid of it...shoot an Apex now...The Encore shot good for a couple of years but then it was all all over the place...Apex has a better lockup. I think the Knights are all all too long because of the bolt action. Have you looked at a Vortek?
Old 06-01-2011, 05:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's a tough decision. I'm a Knight fan and was planning to get the Mountaineer but found a stainless (not weather shield)Pro Hunter on clearance for about $100 less than a Mountaineer and couldn't help myself. So far I'm really happy with with my choice. I don't think either would be bad though.
There's still a few ss Pro Hunters around here for sale for about the same as a Mountaineer.
The Mountaineer will be more accurate from a bench but I don't think significantly so and I doubt you would notice any difference in a hunting situation.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:06 AM
Fork Horn

My first choice is KNIGHT, 2nd choice is KNIGHT, 3rd choice is KNIGHTTTTTTTTTT.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.