Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Talk to me...Knight Mountainer or TC pro hunter >

Talk to me...Knight Mountainer or TC pro hunter

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Talk to me...Knight Mountainer or TC pro hunter

Old 06-01-2011, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I really like both rifles. I have a few Knights and even more Encores. However most of my Encores are CF rifles. Not MZ's. I have owned 3 different Encore MZ barrels. So I have experience with them.

Here are my thoughts when comparing the two firearms.

IMO the Knight has a better trigger. And more easily adjustable. But I am not positive if the new Mountainer has a trigger as good as the ones on my Knight's.

One of the problems I had with the Encore was that they weren't easy to load. You had to beat down the second or third shot. I have not experienced these problems with my Knight rifles. Now I know guys say you need to buy this certain sabot or that certain sabot. But when I pay that kind of money for something, I do not want to be told the rifle is finicky and I must only use this or that projectile.

Probably what I like most about my Knight's is that they just seem to shoot(accurately) any projectile I stuff down the barrel. It can be a PRB, or a 525 grain cast bullet, or a 250 grain saboted bullet. The Knight's have shot them all for me. And I like that.

In my experience with Knight and Encore rifles. Which probably comes to about 25 or 30 Knight's, and a dozen or more Encore MZ's. IMO the Knight rifles have been in general more accurate than the Encore MZ's. And definitly less finicky. Tom.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:51 AM
Typical Buck

I own a PH and love it. BUt having said that they are way over priced. As for the new Knight Mountainers they also carry a heavy price tag. If money is no object you could do no wrong with either. If money is a concern my Triumph is for the dollar the best gun i own. Not sure how the new Knight Discs are rated but the older ones sure are shooters.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

There seems to be one thing most of us agree on and that's the price tag of the Pro Hunter and the Knight Mountaineers is to high. I really can not understand why either should be that high. I also agree with several who have said that dollar for dollar the best buy is the Triumph. Of all my TC guns the Triumph stands out for being consistent with the widest range of load and for consistent accuracy. And while I have never been a fan of CVA guns or company I would have to rate the Accura as next in line for best for the dollar.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

What can I say. I have a Encore PH and you couldn't beg it away from me. Shoots sub moa @ 100yds, easy to load (all I use if BH 209 though) never hang fires or misfires. Factory trigger actually was pretty good but still sent it off and had a custom 2lb trigger job done on it. If someone stole this one I would go buy another one.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:13 PM
Typical Buck

im pretty much an echo of sj, got an encore ph and i love it. I shoot it for ml, put a 7mm08 barrel on for rifle season, and a 22lr barrel on for small game. I got a steal on mine, 2nd owner after 1 season of use, came with the original box and all for 550. Just picked up a 20g barrel and i cant wait to try it out. Really other than a few of my rimfire rifles that i like to shoot, none of my other long guns even leave the house now.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:52 AM
Spike

Default tc pro hunter

I shoot the pro hunter and love it,accurate and easy to clean and i like the break open barrel as another way to be safe around my hunting buddies!