Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Cold Temps and Muzzleloaders >

Cold Temps and Muzzleloaders

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Cold Temps and Muzzleloaders

Old 05-01-2011, 06:05 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

Default Cold Temps and Muzzleloaders

Last year, I cleared the breech by firing a round into a target after a late-season hunt with temps about 10F. I was shooting a Traditions break action muzzleloader with pellet charge square sticks by Jim Shockley. The gun was very cold and when I fired it there was a very subdued, almost silent report. It was late and I could almost watch the bullet go to the target; it almost seemed slower. But it did not drop much. Another fellow I know had a similar experience hunting cold weather of a subdued report and he stated that the bullet fell short and he missed a nice buck.

Will extreme cold affect performance?

Last edited by MZS; 05-01-2011 at 06:07 AM.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

Muzzleloaders work very well in cold weather when blackpowder is used. Some of the BP substitutes also work very well in cold weather.

IMO: JSG sticks do not work well even in warm weather. Can the sticks and go with JSG granular or another BP substitute.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:24 AM
Dominant Buck

I live and hunt northern Wisconsin. We are in cold weather constantly. I shoot a lot on the range and have learned a few things.. the powder you use is critical. You mention you were shooting Jim Shockey Sticks. I just am not a fan of American Pioneer Powder when I hunt. I shoot it, and on the range where you load and three minutes later you shoot.. it works fine. But even then I have had a POOF! load.

But I can not get myself to trust it after a long day of cold temperatures, snow, moisture, and especially humid ground blinds (ever been in one of them coated ground blinds for any length of time.. your breath will make it very humid in there. Frost even forms on the walls.). And my theory is.. if you don't have faith in the powder, why are you hunting with it?

If you want to shoot pellets I would suggest you change over to Pyrodex RS pellets. Use a good hot primer also. Also make sure to use a muzzle mit on the end of that rifle. Take it off at the end of the day, but you can shoot right through it. There are a lot of new powders on the market. But some I like and some I don't. I've shot Pyrodex RS in rifles for thirty years and it has never let me down. It is a good, consistent, accurate powder. Yes it is corrosive, and all that other stuff.. But I clean the rifle after I shoot it, so that has never been a problem.

Some will tell you to try loose powder. I agree with them. BUT if you like pellets, then shoot pellets. There are some excellent loose powders out on the market right now.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:02 AM
Typical Buck

Spin the appropriate size drill bit by hand in the flash channel of the breech plug to ensure it is carbon free. Hot or cold I clean mine out after every range session.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

I tested APP powder. I shot about 75 shots that day. temps were 50 degrees. Out of the 75 shots I took, 3 of them sounded like I loaded half the powder.

Crappy powder.

Use BH 209 if it will work in your gun.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

This thread details some of things i do when i shoot my rifles in cold weather. When things are right, shooting in cold weather works just fine. Actually, shooting in cold weather means one doesn't have to wait, to allow the rifles to cool, and there are no bugs to deal with.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:18 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I tested APP powder. I shot about 75 shots that day. temps were 50 degrees. Out of the 75 shots I took, 3 of them sounded like I loaded half the powder.

Crappy powder.

Use BH 209 if it will work in your gun.
I am confused. In this thread you gave APP a great review???
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blac...ldnt-do-2.html
Old 05-01-2011, 07:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Omega45
I am confused. In this thread you gave APP a great review???
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blac...ldnt-do-2.html
I did, but when I tried it again I got those light charges. Maybe because I was working to the bottom of the bottle.

Also, I was shooting a sidelock and I was impressed by how clean it burned. It's ok to play with, but I don't trust the powder to hunt with.

Now that i'm back hunting with the Omega. I'm back with BH 209.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:54 AM
Typical Buck

APP ignites pretty easy. If I were to hunt with it, it would have to be off a fouled bore. Fouled bore as in after one shot. Just snapping a primer is not good enough. This group shows 3 shots at 100yds with JSG 3f at 100yds.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Omega45
Spin the appropriate size drill bit by hand in the flash channel of the breech plug to ensure it is carbon free. Hot or cold I clean mine out after every range session.
X2 on that and and how important it is. Ray

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.