Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Triple 7 revisited >

Triple 7 revisited

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Triple 7 revisited

Old 04-14-2011, 11:03 AM
Typical Buck

See everyones interpretation of a one hole group is different.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:06 AM
Banned

LOL true. But one hell of a group either way you look at it.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:15 AM
Typical Buck

That break vs bolt was one I disagreed with also. Sabotloader and Grouse i would put up my Ruger No 1(Dad gave it to me not sure how old but old) against any bolt gun they have. I also know our military snipers only use bolts but I wonder if its more a less things go wrong issue. But I will say they shoot a hell of alot more than most so if they must have found that to be true. Why is it the break action hinge pins wear out?
Old 04-14-2011, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Ruger #1 is another example of a tack driving break action rifle. i also have friends who have owned them for many years and still drive tacks.there are a few center fire break actions that don't shoot worth a dam out of the box. but that's poor workmanship and design and not a product of the break action.the Barret .50 cal is a semi auto and darn accurate also.it would take a awful sloppy hinge pin to change POI on a consistent basis.Ray
Old 04-14-2011, 12:09 PM
Typical Buck

Ahhh, Ruger #1 is a falling block action, not a hinge gun. You know, like a Winchester High Wall.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:15 PM
Typical Buck

The more you take the barrel off the TC Encore / Pro Hunter frame the looser the fit will be from my experience. Could be the hinge pin from tapping it in and out getting smaller or the hole in the frame getting bigger. The TC adjustable hinge pin lets you easily put the pin in and just tighten the allen screw which opens the pin up for a snug fit.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Actually, the Ruger #1 is not a "break action" but a "falling block" or "drop action".

The difference is that a break action has a hinge pin allowing the barrel to break open to expose the breech. If the hinge mechanism becomes loose on a break action it affects rigidity of the barrel/stock unit.

On the Ruger and on similar falling block designs such as the TC Omega and my favorite cartridge rifles - the Browning single shots, the barrel/stock is always a rigid unit. (I have a Browning B-78 in 25-06 and an 1885 in 45-70 - both tack drivers).
Old 04-14-2011, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jaybez101099
That break vs bolt was one I disagreed with also. Sabotloader and Grouse i would put up my Ruger No 1(Dad gave it to me not sure how old but old) against any bolt gun they have. I also know our military snipers only use bolts but I wonder if its more a less things go wrong issue. But I will say they shoot a hell of alot more than most so if they must have found that to be true. Why is it the break action hinge pins wear out?
I'm very happy to hear Your Dad's Ruger is very accurate. Nothing better then a accurate reliable gun.

Has anyone ever wondered why T/C made two break open Muzzleloaders? The reason was the Encore/Pro-Hunter/Endeavor design was horrible. They also new they could not change it because of all the differnet barrels offered. All you need to do is ask http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=469 This guy made a fortune with hinge pins. So did Cecil Epps.

I have always said the Encore was a great ML. But it needed to be tweeked first. Working up a load has nothing to do with it. Make the gun right, finding a load is easy.

That is why the Triumph was made. And the Triumph is designed alot better and does not need tweeked out of the box. If you talk to the right people at T/C, they will tell you not to buy an Encore over a Triumph if you want a ML only. It's obvious to anyone that own both.

The Triumph is a tack driver no doubt. I cant honestly say how long it will stay that way. It sure will last alot longer then an Encore. The bolt action ML has less moving parts and obviously locked up tighter then a break action. Which in the long run means more accurate over time.

Like someone mentioned above, for most people it doesnt matter. They wont shoot enough to see a difference. And the break actions are shorter and lighter and alot easier to carry and carry on a quad. That's a big reason why they are so popular.

I actually hope Knight makes a high quality break open. I think the demand is more for them then bolt action guns today. But if i could only own one, it would be a bolt action.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:23 PM
Typical Buck

Grouse the Knight Vision is a break action. How do you think that break compares to T/C's..CVA's? Does it lock up better? What would you change if any on the Vision break system.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jaybez101099
Grouse the Knight Vision is a break action. How do you think that break compares to T/C's..CVA's? Does it lock up better? What would you change if any on the Vision break system.
I actually have two Knight Visions in the cabinet. No Encores or Pro-hunters left. I still have my triumph. There are a couple problems with the Vision.

The length of pull is two long. I had both cut and added new recoil pads. The other problem or complaint i will say is the trigger. It needs to have an adjustable one piece trigger. For the most part that's it. Like an Encore it needs tweaked.

I prefer the Triumph over the Vision. I prefer the Vision over the Encore and the Accura. And if you look at cost, the Vision beats them all pretty easily.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.