Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
.50 Deerhunter at the Range >

.50 Deerhunter at the Range

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

.50 Deerhunter at the Range

Old 08-25-2011, 10:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

I replaced my Lyman Trade with it since I was scared of scrathing/bumping the wooden stock.
Dang wildeboer, I hope you didn't replace it as in "got rid of it". Scratches just add character to a wood stock. Some of mine have quite a bit of character. Those Trade Rifles are real nice guns.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:48 PM
Fork Horn

Yes, I had to choose between the 2 rifles and I chose the Deerhunter.
It was the practical choice for me:
- sintetic stock
- light enough for a everyday carry along
- my budget only allows one rifle
I also have a .45 Kentucky pistol for back up though.
My Deerhunter and my .20 Airvolution airrifle(South African build) are not toys or nice to have things, they are tools to either bring in meat or money(pest control)
Old 08-28-2011, 12:32 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by BOYWONDER
Is it barrel heavy?
Not at all, it only weighs about 6 lbs. and feels just right.
It's lighter and handier than the TC Renegades.

Originally Posted by pluckit
If you haven't tried shooting some sabots out of it, I highly recommend giving them a try.
It shoots the TC Break-O-Way sabots to the same point of aim as patched round balls.
It likes 90 grains of Pyrodex P.

Originally Posted by pluckit
And have you messed with that sear screw yet?
No, some of the Deer hunter triggers are better than others but the trigger on this one is satisfactory. I don't want to make it any lighter because my other son hunts with it.

Originally Posted by wildeboer
I have the same rifle, silwer barrel and plastic stock.
You must like the nickel finish as much as I do.
I also prefer the drum & nipple set up because it's easier to clean than a patent breech.
Attached Thumbnails .50 Deerhunter at the Range-p1010462a40.jpg  

Last edited by arcticap; 08-28-2011 at 11:46 PM.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:59 AM
WCW
Spike

I got the Deerhunter I reconditioned sighted in on Thursday and found it to be accurate out to 100 yards with both PBRs and 320 grain Maxi-Balls using 75 grains of powder.. We didn't try any sabots. Because it has a 24 inch barrel I used Pyrodex P rather than RS to get a more complete powder burn. It is my opinion that using more than 85 grains of powder is a waste of powder in that short of a barrel. Undoubtedly it will be a good brush gun but I would limit my shots to around 60 yards with PBRs and 90 or 100 with conicals. We will be using it as a starter gun for the young ones and possibly the first smoke-pole they take into the field. For the asking price of a new one I would highly recommend it for someone who wants to try out a side-lock.