Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Very interesting finding! >

Very interesting finding!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Very interesting finding!

Old 03-12-2011, 03:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

I thought the primers were clogging up the flash channel?

I saw no difference in cleaning the flash channel between T7 and BH 209.

I did see a difference in using different primers. I found the CCI 209m primer to be pretty clean.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I thought the primers were clogging up the flash channel?

I saw no difference in cleaning the flash channel between T7 and BH 209.

I did see a difference in using different primers. I found the CCI 209m primer to be pretty clean.
your right to a degree, Bh209 seems to speed the build up of the carbon. Ray
Old 03-12-2011, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
My ProShot steel gas port brush set works fine. They shine like a mirror when im done cleaning them. Maybe its because they are made to remove hard carbon in gas ports.

GM, do you have a source for the brush set? i will have a look at the local sporting goods here. but in case they don't have them.. Ray
Old 03-12-2011, 04:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

I was using a i/8 inch drill to clean the flash channel in my Triumph when I was using 777 before they came out with BH. Using 777 and win 777 primers the build up was about half as fast as I got with a 1/8 flame channel. Sabot loader was the one that improved that situation with an enlarged flame channel so now I only need to clean the flame channel when I clean the gun. The only things I do different in my set up is on my TC guns I install the vent liner right where TC had the touch hole and polish the flame channel. It works well for me and if its not broke I have no intention of fixing it.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Makes me wonder if that is one reason I was having misfires in my Knight KRB7. I realize that there is another whole issue with that gun (spring and fouling in the "rolling block" area) but maybe some carbon buildup contributed to the problem? Only used 777 and never cleaned the breechplug with a drillbit. Will have to try one out on it.

Also, might be the reason BH 209 wasn't working well when people tried it with that gun (in addition to the breechplug design)?

Last edited by txhunter58; 03-12-2011 at 05:16 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by txhunter58
Makes me wonder if that is one reason I was having misfires in my Knight KRB7. I realize that there is another whole issue with that gun (spring and fouling in the "rolling block" area) but maybe some carbon buildup contributed to the problem? Only used 777 and never cleaned the breechplug with a drillbit. Will have to try one out on it.
Lol after my experience today, i would do exactly that. i will also say that soaking it in "Ron's" mixture either after of before helps a lot. after i used the bit, i soaked it and sent a pipe cleaner down there until it came out totally clean.was surprising how much was left and on the pipe cleaner..Gm's lil brush looks like a sure fire way to make a BP spotless.. Ray
Old 03-12-2011, 08:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

builder459

I got mine at Grafs but they are kinda common at gun shops. I get 2 sets. One to use with a small piece of patch (wet/polish) and the other set just for dry carbon removal. Use the smaller one first and the larger one next if you need it. Only the small one will take a tiny bit of patch on my channels. Ive also got a stiff wire Dremel bit that will clean the base of a primer pocket. It holds a patch well for polishing too. They make polishing bits but i like the bush/patch for that application.

Like i said it can be a bit tedious but its not hard.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:10 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the tip, builder.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:11 AM
Fork Horn

Does it mean that I could use that Vinegar/Windex mix to clean the barrel too using BH9? Cause my wife hate the Hoope#9 odor.
Taureau noir
Old 03-13-2011, 10:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Taureaunoir
Does it mean that I could use that Vinegar/Windex mix to clean the barrel too using BH9? Cause my wife hate the Hoope#9 odor.
Taureau noir

No! You need to use an oil based cleaner for BH 209, because it's basically a smokeless powder.

Windex and water are for black powder and the subs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.