HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Very interesting finding! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/341805-very-interesting-finding.html)

builder459 03-12-2011 11:29 AM

Very interesting finding!

I made a surprising finding this afternoon. while preparing my Triumph for it's test run using Bh209 instead of the usual 777 loose. knowing my breech plug flash channel should be 1/8 inch, i decided to run a 1/8 inch drill bit through it.mind you i take pride in keeping my weapons clean, soaking my breech plug after every session and using a pipe cleaner also.imagine my surprise when i tried a 1/8 bit and it did not fit down the channel. so i decided to try a 7/64 which is one step below 1/8. it indeed fit. after reading mention from Ronlaughlin regarding windex and vinegar, i pour a mixture of vinegar and windex in a small plastic dish and let it soak for about 10 minutes, which is what i usually do with the BP after a session with 777. only difference is i use windex/ ammonia. after the soaking i removed the BP and started with the 7/64, then followed with the 1/8 bit. it is now clean as a whistle.."for those of you out there using 777" the carbon buildup associated with BH209 can also happen with 777, this stuff was hard to remove with just a drill bit. i suggest everyone out there using 777 find the proper size bit and give it a try, in order to be sure that your BP does not have this nasty carbon buildup also.." Ron "was spot on with his suggestion of windex/vinegar for Bh 209 carbon build up. i would strongly suggest 777 users use this mixture and a drill bit also.. pure vineagar or a stronger 50/50 mix, seemed to work even better.. Ray

MountainDevil54 03-12-2011 11:32 AM

yep it develops with all powders. T7 though i noticed in the flash channel is a white color. Winchester W209 primers also develop a much harder crud in the BP.

Pipe cleaners - Flash channel brushes = worthless when properly cleaning a BP.

How'd you do on the range Ray?

builder459 03-12-2011 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54 (Post 3785632)
yep it develops with all powders. T7 though i noticed in the flash channel is a white color. Winchester W209 primers also develop a much harder crud in the BP.

Pipe cleaners - Flash channel brushes = worthless when properly cleaning a BP.

How'd you do on the range Ray?

I am going to the range tomorrow MD, i was just getting everything ready today..MD the hard deposits i removed were black not white, just as i have seen in threads on this forum when using BH209. the vinegar/windex loosened this right up.the only powder ever used in the Triumph was 777 loose. after discovering this today, i would suggest everyone using 777 or Bh209 use the vinegar/windex and a drill bit followed by a pipe cleaner after ever session.. carbon build up is not exclusive to Bh209 lol. will post my impression of BH209 tomorrow following the range session... Ray

Omega45 03-12-2011 01:20 PM

As long as you keep up on your BP after each range session you will not need to use any cleaning agents, just a few spins of the bit and you are decarboned.

Gm54-120 03-12-2011 01:40 PM

My ProShot steel gas port brush set works fine. They shine like a mirror when im done cleaning them. Maybe its because they are made to remove hard carbon in gas ports. ;)

builder459 03-12-2011 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Omega45 (Post 3785667)
As long as you keep up on your BP after each range session you will not need to use any cleaning agents, just a few spins of the bit and you are decarboned.

Now i am aware of that,one of the main points of posting this thread was that the carbon issue seems to be a negative with some where Bh209 is concerned..well it's a issue with 777 also and i would imagine pyrodex also to a lesser degree... Ray

builder459 03-12-2011 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Gm54-120 (Post 3785682)
My ProShot steel gas port brush set works fine. They shine like a mirror when im done cleaning them. Maybe its because they are made to remove hard carbon in gas ports. ;)

Excellent idea GM, the vinegar/windex sure made the carbon cleaning easier also.. Ray

Omega45 03-12-2011 02:15 PM

Any BP that uses a 209 primer will get fouled up with carbon regardless of the powder used. Some primers create more foulng then others. Most who shoot T7 or Pyrodex do not have ignition problems even with a fouled plug because they ignite easily. BH209 is a whole new game. Western Powders just recently updated their website and shows proper BP maintenance. I have turned a few shooters onto BH209 by offering to let them try a few shots at the range. 1st thing I do is have them pull the BP and I decarbon it. This shows them what needs to be done to properly ignite BH209. I then show them how to seat the load hard on the powder.

Gm54-120 03-12-2011 02:20 PM

builder459

Another thing that helps its putting a good polish IN the primer pocket and channel. Its pretty tedious but does help for a long time. The Lehighs already are very nice in this regard but the proper Dremel bits and some Mothers metal polish makes it look like chrome. Carbon has a much harder time sticking to a polished or chromed surface. The vent pocket has a nice polish finish on it and it practically wipes clean with a little solvent and 2 patches. Make sure its totally oil free before shooting and life is good.

builder459 03-12-2011 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Omega45 (Post 3785692)
Any BP that uses a 209 primer will get fouled up with carbon regardless of the powder used. Some primers create more foulng then others. Most who shoot T7 or Pyrodex do not have ignition problems even with a fouled plug because they ignite easily. BH209 is a whole new game. Western Powders just recently updated their website and shows proper BP maintenance. I have turned a few shooters onto BH209 by offering to let them try a few shots at the range. 1st thing I do is have them pull the BP and I decarbon it. This shows them what needs to be done to properly ignite BH209. I then show them how to seat the load hard on the powder.

All makes good sense Omega and even though 777 shooters don't have the ignition problems as do BH shooters. "that doesn't mean there BP is clean". which you sited a example of that above, when taking first time Bh209 shooters out and cleaning there plugs out for them prior to using BH 209.i think the bottom line here is no matter if one shoots pyrodex,777 or BH 209 a drill bit or a wire brush as GM is using, should be used. also soaking it in Rons mix prior or after cleaning surely can't hurt either.. Ray