Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Lehigh Coversion Kits Becomming Available >

Lehigh Coversion Kits Becomming Available

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Lehigh Coversion Kits Becomming Available

Old 03-05-2011, 07:42 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by quake
What would be the advantage of making the Knight version with a non-removable vent liner? Doesn't make sense to me. I thought the reason for a vent liner was to improve ignition and extend the life of a breech plug by making the vent liner removable and replaceable when it becomes eroded? Being able to remove the vent liner for cleaning seems like a good idea, too.

The only reason I can come up with for making it non-removable is perhaps a financial advantage/improved profit margin for the manufacturer? When the vent liner erodes in the non-removable version will a person just throw out the breech plug and be forced to buy a new breech plug/vent liner assembly versus buying just an inexpensive vent liner?

Maybe the "average Joe" will not wear out the vent liner- somebody that does little target shooting and mostly just hunts in the Fall?

Please forgive me if my question is off target or has an obvious answer; as I am still learning about Knight/Lehigh conversions and it's all pretty much new to me. Thanks
I would take the Lehigh over the Knight, simply because the Lehigh has the replaceable vent liner and for the same price with free shipping. However, shooting black powder or subs, hardly anyone will wear out the vent liner. No biggy to be stuck with the Knight version when the Lehigh sells out, which I think they will quickly.

As for profit margin, the average Joe will probably buy more unneeded vent liners than replacement breech plugs so I think Knight is screwed up by not going with the Lehigh with replacement vent liners.

Last edited by bowhunterjsc; 03-05-2011 at 08:08 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

[QUOTE] What would be the advantage of making the Knight version with a non-removable vent liner? Doesn't make sense to me. /QUOTE]

Quake, I suspect it's a liability issue. It may be that Knight is afraid that some uninformed person will get ahold of one of their guns (perhaps as a used gun) that has the vent liner removed, and shoot it without a liner. That "just might" cause a little excessive blow back.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:10 PM
Fork Horn

semi, my thought exactly, could not have said it any better.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Since Savage uses a removable liner it may be in Knights best interest to NOT go there. It is the same vent liner he sells for use in the Savage.

If you get my drift..

QUAKE

These liners are really that good. In a low blowby breach plug using subs i cant imagine the amount of shooting it would take to wear it out. Ive shot a lot of 45cal high pressure sub loads through mine and no erosion yet. Over 100 max BH209 loads in my 54cal with bullets from 300-385gr and they are still like new.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 03-05-2011 at 08:32 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:26 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the replies to my questions, everybody.

Yes, I suppose there could be liability issues with a Knight with a missing vent liner that is sold second-hand. In this sue-happy world we live in anything is possible. I never thought of that one. I wonder if Savage has ever had an issue with that.

Also, I did not realize the vent liners were that hard and durable. Guess it's not an issue, huh?