Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
A Date With The Neglected Sister >

A Date With The Neglected Sister

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

A Date With The Neglected Sister

Old 02-27-2011, 07:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default A Date With The Neglected Sister

I was looking through my target files Saturday morning trying to decide which gun to take to the range, and what loads to shoot.

When I pulled the folder with targets from the Green Mountain barreled .54 Renegade (one of the Sinful Sisters) I was surprised to see that the lady hadn't had a date since June of 2009. Man, time flies.

I was even more surprised to see that the folder contained only 13 targets with five shots each. So that gun has been fired only 65 times. Dang, that barrel isn't even broken in yet. So it got the vote for the Saturday afternoon session.

Here's the last target that was in the file - target #13.

Now that's a darn nice group. Note that it's with a .535 ball, which is all that's ever been shot in the gun. But I remembered that the .535 was a little tough loading and I'd bought a .530 Lee mold to try - even cast a bunch of balls with it last year.

So the purpose of this range session was to see if I could get a good shooting load with the .530 balls.

After carrying all of the gear out to the shooting bench, I loaded up with 95 grains of GOEX FFFg and .018 pillow tick patches. Took five shots at 50 yards and got this.

Gotta do better than that. Searched for patches and found two. They were badly blown. So I tried five more shots with the same load, but added a 1/8" wool wad between the powder and patched ball. Here's that target.

A little better, but not acceptable.

Referring back to target #13, I saw that I was using FFg powder back in 2009. So I loaded her up with 95 grains of FFg and took five more shots.

It's grinning time! I wonder if a wad under that load would improve it even more. Tried five more shots with a wad and got this.

Now that surprised me. Not better, but worse. So I can skip the wad.

I'd also noted that the load on target #13 was 85 grains, not the 95 grains I've been shooting. So I adjusted the powder measure to 85 grains for the next experiment - different patch thicknesses.

First up - 85 grains of powder and .016 patches.

THAT'S PRETTY GOOD! Real easy loading too with those thinner patches.

Next up - 85 grains of powder and .018 patches.

GOODER AND GOODER! And still pretty easy loading. Heck, I'll take the blame for that one to the right of the others.

Finally - 85 grains of powder with .022 patches.

Well that stinks! I sure didn't expect it. Usually you get better groups with tighter patches. They still weren't all that hard to load.

CONCLUSIONS: The barrel clearly likes FFg powder and .018 patches, and seems to favor 85 grains of powder. So that's going to be my "go to" load. And it doesn't seem to care whether it's a .530 or .535 ball.

But just for the heck of it, let's try reducing the charge to 75 grains and see what happens. Here's what happens:

Well that's pretty nice also. But not any better than the hotter load. So I'll stick with 85 grains for hunting.

At this point I looked back at target #19 and see the selected "go to" load is hitting two inches below the point of aim. The adjustment ring on the ProDiamond scope says "1 click = 1/2 MOA". So 2 clicks should move it one inch at 100 yards, and 4 clicks should move it one inch at 50 yards. I moved the elevation adjustment UP 12 clicks and took five more shots.

Yep! That'll do. (Until I get a chance to play around with it at 75 and 100 yards. Looks like another date is needed.)

Last edited by Semisane; 02-27-2011 at 07:53 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like your date cooperated, very nice shooting for a civil war veteran lol... Ray
Old 02-28-2011, 12:19 AM
Fork Horn

Yeah, sounds like your date went well. Hope you had fun.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not bad at all. How much do you think it will drop at 75 yards?
I could really use one of those scope mounts. Where should I look for one? I tried but couldn't find one.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not bad shooting semi, I think the ole gal is ready to go hunting.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Very nice semi. Isn't it great when you do everthing right and your date 'puts out' for you! good shooting. Now you deserve a nice glass of bourbon to ease your shoulder pain an wipe that smile off your face.....
Old 02-28-2011, 05:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Very nice report. One question is the one that a little out of the group the 4th or the 5th shot?
Old 02-28-2011, 06:37 AM
Dominant Buck

Nice shooting... Them GM barrels are sure shooters. Mine liked 90 grains of Goex 2f and a .530 speer ball with a .018 moosemilk patch.

I had the same barrel and discovered I had only shot mine 30 times. A friend has a T/C Hawkins .54 that he kind of messed the barrel up do to taking a stupid pill after hunting season. So, I sold it to him. Needless to say he is pleased. And I really do not miss it.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:55 AM
kb1
Fork Horn

thats some fine shooting semi! i think you owe that sister some huntin time.

karl
Old 02-28-2011, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Back in the day when I had my little black book I always pulled it out befor a date, I know how women can be so I did'nt need any suprises. If it worked back then, it'll work this time
Nice report and she's a real Sweet Shooter, I'd keep that one and give her 5 Stars!
(BP)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.