Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
200 & 100 yard target >

200 & 100 yard target

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

200 & 100 yard target

Old 02-23-2011, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flounder33
Your ballistic charts are showing there should be almost a 7 inch difference between 100 yards and 200 yards.
The very first chart indicates a little over 5 1/2" difference from 100 to 200 yard. This is about how the rifle was shooting today, i believe. The 100 yard target was shot from a warmish rifle, so the bullets hit lower than i think they would from a cold barrel. The first shot from my rifles always seem to hit highest, until the barrel gets hot. Once the barrel gets hot, all bets are off, and The bullets fly all over. The only real way to know, in my opinion, is to shoot the rifle and load at 100 yard from a cold cold rifle, and see where it hits. I won't do it in the morning, i don't think, because it supposed to start snowing later tonight, and snow all day tomorrow, and on into Friday.

When i am shooting a rifle i plan to use on the prairie, i always shoot first at 200 yard, until i am satisfied with an approximate point of aim at that range. Then i shoot at 100 yard to make sure i am not hitting higher than 3". This particular rifle and load have been verified pretty good at 200 yard, and i will try the 100 yard shot from a cold rifle next.

There are 3 empty boxes of these bullets, and this target is the first one i was able to allow myself to share, because of my lousy groups. Plus, i was kinda tickled that all the bullets were on one piece of paper. I was going to change the powder charge, but today's shoot has decided me to keep everything the same.

I forgot to mention that the elevation could be important as to how the bullets fly, compared to how SHOOTER say they should fly. That is why i mentioned the elevation was near 4700'.

Last edited by ronlaughlin; 02-23-2011 at 04:29 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Very nice Ron. I suspect that you are all set out to 200 easy. If that is a 6" bull you're +3 at 100 and -3 at 200. So a center hold out to 200 will drop em for sure.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
.....................If that is a 6" bull you're +3 at 100 and -3 at 200............................
That is a 4" red colored bull; the rings are spaced 1" apart.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:39 AM
Fork Horn

Looks like a good load to me. Let us know how the cold bore shot comes out.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Michael396
..................Let us know how the cold bore shot comes out.

Here is a target shot this morning at 98 yard with the Triumph, which was left overnight in the truck uncleaned, using the same same same same. The first shot from a cold cold barrel, is the highest hole. It was -5 when the shooting began. It was -2 when it ended, and there was a light breeze.