Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

just got omega

Old 02-24-2011, 08:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

IIRC the Barnes TEZ series are about the smallest loaded OD. I haven't seen many smaller. Maybe the Knight version is as small but i think its the same and is really close to .500 loaded OD. I only have the EZ load Spitfires to compare so im not sure.

If they are too loose you may want to try a Harvester black crushrib sabot.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:05 PM
Typical Buck

I just used JB on a friends .50 Encore that was a hard loader. It loads Harvester 300gr PT's in a crushed rib sabot great now. I would run about 25 passes of JB to start and clean up with Hoppes or oil of your choice. Like GM54-120 advised if the Barnes T-EZ's load tight or you do not get the accuracy you are looking for switch out the sabots for Harvester Crushed ribs as the T-EZ's are flat based.

I have good luck using CCI209M's in my .50 Omega. The .45 Omega likes Rem STS and the .45 Encore likes regular CCI primers. All use the same breechplug and like I mentioned earlier have been 100% reliable for me with Blackhorn 209.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:24 AM
Typical Buck

Muley Hunter,

I'm not sure about the Barnes sabots. I do know that Harvester Crushed Rib Black will work very well with my Omega. It would be worth the $7-8 to have a pack of 50 in stock to try with your bullet of choice. As with others above, I match it with the 300 Scorpion PT Gold from Harvester. Give them a call and they'll send you some samples to try out if you like. Plus the Scorpions are reasonable at about $23 for 50.

I started with the Omega just to extend my hunting season and now I'm a MZ range rat. It's addictive.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Muley Hunter,

Before I ran steel wool in my Omega barrel, I had no problem loading any of the bullet/sabot combos I had, which included T/C Cheap Shots, T/C Shockwaves, Barnes TEZs, Harvester Scorpion PT Golds w/ crush rib sabot (i.e. I didn’t run the steel wool because I had loading difficulties…it was for rust and accuracy issues). That may be because the T/C stuff is, well…T/C stuff, the TEZs were designed for tighter barrels, and the Harvester crush rib sabots simply load like butter (literally…VERY little effort needed). Your results may vary, as it appears that others here have noticed difficulty in loading the Omega before they ran the JB compound down their bores. Not me.

Regardless of what bullets you buy (many come with their own sabots…e.g. the TEZs), you can mix and match bullets/sabots all day long, provided the combo adds up to .50. For example, I like having some T/C Cheap Shots on hand because I like to shoot and they are….CHEAP (I hear they actually work very well on game too, not sure I’ll attempt to gain experience with that, though). Those bullets come with their own sabot, but are .44 cal. So, if I wanted to try out another sabot with that bullet, I shouldn’t use the Harvester black crush rib sabot, as it is designed to hold a .45 cal bullet. Instead, I’ll use the Harvester green crush rib sabot, designed for a .44 cal bullet.

You may find that the Barnes TEZ shoots very well out of your gun in its own sabot. If you’ve experimented with different charges/charge volumes and it doesn’t shoot well, but you really want to use a Barnes bullet, order the Barnes bullets you want with a variety of sabots to see if it makes a difference. Midsouthshooterssupply.com has the best selection of muzzleloading components that I have seen.

You stated that you’re more of a hunter than a target shooter. You may just be looking for a simple combo that gets you minute-of-deer accuracy at 100 yards. As someone else mentioned in this or another recent thread, there are plenty of people that are happy with 2-3 pellets of pyrodex and the projectile of their choice. I thought that would be me. When I bought my Omega, it was simply a means to extend my season. But I have found that muzzleloaders are just plain fun to shoot AND tinker with. My 1 MOA load is a Harvester 260gr Scorpion PT Gold bullet w/ black crush rib sabot, 90gr BH209 and a CCI 209M Primer. Even though I’m getting 1 MOA and I know that the PT Gold’s terminal performance is excellent, I still want to experiment. I can’t wait to add the red crush rib sabot to the mix! If only I could get a chance to get out and shoot sometime soon!
Old 02-25-2011, 05:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

7.62NATO

IMO those 310gr? lead "cheapshot" type bullets really are not that bad at all. At the right fps and hardness, they should knock the snot out of medium and smaller game. One of this years goals for me is trying out cheaper options such as smooth sided cast bullets and a very hard lead bullet that mimics the SST type bullets for range/practice use.

I highly recommend the PT Scorpion Golds for practice just because they are affordable and still pretty effective on game. They have been very accurate for me but they are a bit smaller OD than many 45cal bullets. Barnes 45s usually run the smallest OD and now i knurl all copper solids for a better fit if they are loose.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 02-25-2011 at 05:56 AM.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good info. Thanks guys.

I actually need to work up 3 loads. Deer, elk/bear, and coyote. I don't shoot anything but muzzleloaders. The biggest challenge has been a long range coyote load. Pretty hard with a traditional ML. I'm hoping the Omega will give me the range I need.

I'm thinking 180 gr for coyote with as much powder as I can keep accurate.

250 gr for deer so I don't blow out too much meat.

300 gr with good power and penetration for elk and bear.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Gm54-120 - I think they are 240gr, and I think you are right about their terminal performance. I just couldn't get them to perform as accurately as the PT Golds. I just got some of the green crush rib sabots, so I will try them out with the Cheap Shots to see if that improves accuracy. If it does, I may re-zero for that load come next whitetail season.

Curious though...why would you recommend the PT Golds for practice over the Cheap Shots? Sure, they are not as expensive as Barnes, but they are a LOT more expensive than Cheap Shots! Also, when you say they are "pretty effective" on game, have you had an experience that would keep you from calling them "very effective?" Both deer I shot with them were toast.

Muley Hunter - From what I understand, the 300gr PT Golds have a pretty good BC and are very accurate in long-range situations...more so than 260gr (BH209 was used in the report I read). If you do not keep the coyote pelts, that is probably your best long-range bet, and of course it would work well on elk and bear as well. I would be interested in hearing reports of a 180gr projectile out of a .50 cal. For some reason, I would think it will be difficult to keep it accurate at longer ranges. And, come to think of it, 300gr or 180gr on a coyote...either way, the pelt is toast.

If you end up using BH209, I do recommend testing out the red crush rib sabot. You may find that you get a bit more velocity there.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:25 AM
kb1
Fork Horn

you might find those red crushribs a very tight fit.with a .452 bullet they measure .508-9
Old 02-25-2011, 07:26 AM
Typical Buck

He will have a hard time loading with the red crushed rib in the Omega. If the regular black crushed ribs are loose which they shouldn't next step up is Harvester smooths for under 300gr bullets. I have not seen a TC Omega, Triumph or Encore not like the Harvester 260 or 300gr PT's in a crushed rib ran with 100-110gr of BH209.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've been reading about the PT Gold bullet. It talks about bone crushing penetration. This is good for longer shots on elk.

My concern is expansion. I see no mention of that. How do they do if I have a close shot at a deer? I don't want it to just blow through.

I think that's why I love the Barnes bullet. The expansion is just a joy to look at. It looks like a flower.

I'm sure the avatar that Gm54-120 uses is a Barnes. Hard to beat that bullet.

I'm still open minded though. Convince me the PT Gold is as good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.