Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Another BH209 Problem??? >

Another BH209 Problem???

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Another BH209 Problem???

Old 02-20-2011, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Unhappy Another BH209 Problem???

Was a the range last Friday and was shooting my Knight Vision. I was loading 100grs. of BH209 under the Hornaday FPB bullets. I was trying the 300 gr bullet. I have been shooting the 350 gr. bullets now for a while and wanted to try the lighter bullets.

Well after shooting a couple of primers through the barrel and after running a couple of patches to clean out the barrel of any oils. My first shot fired and I new it wasn't right. It was as if I was shooting a very light load and had vey little recoil. And sure enough, when I checked out my target, the shot was very low. As much as 20" below POA. I couldn't believe it and thought my scope had how gotten off. I know I had not dropped my gun or banged it any way. My second shot was more normal and with plenty of recoil it hit close to POA.

Everything went normal after that and I came to the conclusion that the 350gr bullets were going to be my bullet of choice. The 300 gr FPBs were all over the place, no matter how much I changed my powder charge.

Well as I was shooting one of my last shots, I got the worst fire I have ever gotten with a ML'der with a full charge. It was as if I had dry loaded a bullet and removed the nipple and put a small amount of powder to get the bullet out of the barrel. It was that bad. Now this was 100gr powder load?!?! This is not making any sense to me.

All in all I fired about 23 bullets through my Vision that day. I didn't run any patches through the barrrel between shots. I don't do this with BH209 and didn't think it was necessary to do it now. This has got me stumped. This powder is new and kept in a cool dry place.

Anyone ever had this happen to them? Or does anyone have a possible explanation? I love this powder and the way it performs in my Knight Vision. I don't want to change, but I don't want this to happen to me when I am in the woods and Bullwinkle comes along!

Help!!!
Old 02-20-2011, 10:05 AM
Banned

sounds like your plug isnt working well with BH209.

What primers are you using?
Old 02-20-2011, 10:35 AM
Fork Horn

Perhaps the 300 gr's aren't providing enough resistance or compression, for proper ignition, since the 350's are working.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Question

I did have a problem when I first started using BH209 and Winchester primers. I talked to the Bh209 company and they advised using Federal Mag or CCI mag primers. I was using the CCI mags that day. I may take it to the range again and use the Federal mags primers and see if that happens again.

I don't know what to do. I could sell the gun and get another inline. I did set this Knight Vision up for long range shooting and it excells with my setup. I just don't want it to happen at the wrong time.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:48 AM
Banned

could be something as simple as a plugged up flash channel.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

The only full bore ignition issues ive had with BH209 was with loose sabotless bullets i was trying out. They also hit very low and recoil was much less. Adding a felt or fiber wad helped but not enough to continue the experiment at that time.

Im not very impressed with the SD/BC of 50cal bullets in the 300gr range. IMO i would stick with what worked and IMO 350gr for a 50cal should be a better choice if it shoots well.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:53 AM
kb1
Fork Horn

rafsob;i've never shot the FPB's but i do shoot blackhorn out of my vision and have never had a hang/misfire with it.i use a tight dry patch both sides and then a pipe cleaner and wire to clear the breechplug.i also use 100g Bh209, 250g barnes tipped boatail with supplied yellow sabots ignited with W209 primer.did you use a 1/8" drill bit to clean the carbon out of the breech plug?the one time i cleaned out a breechplug with a primer before i patched the oil out i had a hell of a mess to clean out.i think if you had oil in the breech plug when you popped those primers you might have a heavy build up of carbon/oil stuck in there from the begining?i've done about 20 shots during my range outings and afterwards did have alot of carbon build up.how easy do those fpb's load once their started?do you think they sit tight on the powder?good luck......karl
Old 02-20-2011, 11:48 AM
Fork Horn

Yea I wouldn't call it a BH problem, rather a breech plug or cleaning problem. If the flash channel starts to get build up, and will fairly quick if residual oil is in it, then could have problems. Use the drill bit every 8-10 shots, should be OK.
Disclaimer: far from an expert, only my experience.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Oil in the breach plug got me once bad too and carbon built up MUCH faster. I popped a couple of primers and then tried some CCI209Ms but still had issues until i gave it a good cleaning.

I seldom use mag primers except in extreme conditions or just for testing. Close to 90% of my shots have been with Win209s or even weaker primers and no hang fires. Most of that credit goes to the Lehigh and Ron's plugs though because the primers fit very well and blowby is nearly zero.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 02-20-2011 at 12:14 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by kb1
rafsob;i've never shot the FPB's but i do shoot blackhorn out of my vision and have never had a hang/misfire with it.i use a tight dry patch both sides and then a pipe cleaner and wire to clear the breechplug.i also use 100g Bh209, 250g barnes tipped boatail with supplied yellow sabots ignited with W209 primer.did you use a 1/8" drill bit to clean the carbon out of the breech plug?the one time i cleaned out a breechplug with a primer before i patched the oil out i had a hell of a mess to clean out.i think if you had oil in the breech plug when you popped those primers you might have a heavy build up of carbon/oil stuck in there from the begining?i've done about 20 shots during my range outings and afterwards did have alot of carbon build up.how easy do those fpb's load once their started?do you think they sit tight on the powder?good luck......karl

Hey Karl, Once I get the PFB started it is tight but smooth till it is seated. I guess I will do the drill bit trick and see how much carbon I get out of the bp. This may be my problem.

Larry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.