Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Another BH209 Problem??? >

Another BH209 Problem???

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Another BH209 Problem???

Old 02-21-2011, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by NEK
On February 1st this year - I got an email from "Gordy Edwards" at Knight Rifles - and he assured me that the breech plug - part # 900046 - for bare primers, is made specifically to solve any problems with shooting BH 209. He said, he has been shooting it for over 2 yrs. with great results.
I have a Knight Vision rifle and also the new bp - but due to the deep snow, our shooting range is closed and I have to wait till warmer weather to try it out. I like the extra weight and the way the Vision comes up so natural - it feels real good and I think I'm gonna like shooting it better than My TC Bone collector.
Ditto, on keeping that flash channel clean. I use a 1/8" drill bit - just in my fingers - every 20 shots or so at the range. It's a must.
Not sure about the part# you mentioned. But i will tell you that that the plug was made before BH209 was on the market. And Gordy was the one that sent me the plug to try. That plug is 100% not BH209 compatible.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:13 AM
kb1
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Grouse45
Not sure about the part# you mentioned. But i will tell you that that the plug was made before BH209 was on the market. And Gordy was the one that sent me the plug to try. That plug is 100% not BH209 compatible.
Grouse; are you talking about the flat front breechplug or the convex faced one,the only knight plug i had problems with was the convex faced plug that came in the shadow.if i remember correctly didn't you use a vision with blackhorn on a pig hunt?what plug were you using then?...karl
Old 02-22-2011, 02:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kb1
Grouse; are you talking about the flat front breechplug or the convex faced one,the only knight plug i had problems with was the convex faced plug that came in the shadow.if i remember correctly didn't you use a vision with blackhorn on a pig hunt?what plug were you using then?...karl
The flat faced non magnetic plug is the plug i am talking about. And the first time i used BH209 was with a T/C Triumph. It might of been an Encore on the hunt your thinking about?????
Old 02-22-2011, 03:46 AM
NEK
Fork Horn

The flat faced non magnetic plug is the plug i am talking about. And the first time i used BH209 was with a T/C Triumph. It might of been an Encore on the hunt your thinking about?????
The convex - or (domed) bp is the one I am referring to.
Now - I have conflicting information, so - I will just have to try it and find out for myself - as usual.
I don't believe it would be in the Gordys best interest to give me bad info. When they are trying to restart their business. That wouldn't sell many guns!
Old 02-22-2011, 04:06 AM
kb1
Fork Horn

ok,idid a search and couldn.t find that thread but did find two others where you liked the flat faced plug and had no issue's with it.what has happened to change your mind?for a plug you say is not compatable why have i had such good luck with it with 0 problems.....karl
Old 02-22-2011, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kb1
ok,idid a search and couldn.t find that thread but did find two others where you liked the flat faced plug and had no issue's with it.what has happened to change your mind?for a plug you say is not compatable why have i had such good luck with it with 0 problems.....karl
That was the best designed plug Knight ever made to tell you the truth. That very plug was the plug that really convinced me to make a cleaner plug for the Extreme, Elites with Lehigh.

I think you are mis-understanding what i'm saying. The plug is not 100% BH209 compatible. That's all i'm saying. If you keep the plug clean and use hot primers it will work for a few shots i would think????

A 100% BH209 plug should be able to use the four main primers in all temps and hunting conditions and fire BH209 reliably. Those primers are Remington STS,Winchester,Federal, and CCI. I'm not talking about just one shot either. I feel 25 shots should be no problem at all.

I will say the Knight Vision never mis-fired on me. But i did have delays with it and The Triumph. When i am hunting i do not want a delay. I dont even want to be wondering if it's going to happen.

Lehigh is making me a BH209 compatible plug for my two Visions soon. When i chose to hunt with the 52 this year, it delayed that having to be done.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by NEK
The convex - or (domed) bp is the one I am referring to.
Now - I have conflicting information, so - I will just have to try it and find out for myself - as usual.
I don't believe it would be in the Gordys best interest to give me bad info. When they are trying to restart their business. That wouldn't sell many guns!
Gordy would not give you bad information on purpose. He has not shot alot of BH209 until recently. The last time i was with him he actually liked 777 better then BH209. In some cases 777 is better, ecspecially with lighter bullets.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kb1
KB1, i found the picture. You are correct. I shot this Hog with BH209 before it was out on the market. And as you can see it's a Knight Vision. Keep in mind, this hunt is in April and it's pretty warm. I have learned alot since then about BH209.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:44 AM
Typical Buck

My breech plug with my Remington was hang firing. I just drilled it out myself to make the hole bigger and it works like a charm now.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:52 AM
kb1
Fork Horn

That was the best designed plug Knight ever made to tell you the truth. That very plug was the plug that really convinced me to make a cleaner plug for the Extreme, Elites with Lehigh.

I think you are mis-understanding what i'm saying. The plug is not 100% BH209 compatible. That's all i'm saying. If you keep the plug clean and use hot primers it will work for a few shots i would think????

A 100% BH209 plug should be able to use the four main primers in all temps and hunting conditions and fire BH209 reliably. Those primers are Remington STS,Winchester,Federal, and CCI. I'm not talking about just one shot either. I feel 25 shots should be no problem at all.

I will say the Knight Vision never mis-fired on me. But i did have delays with it and The Triumph. When i am hunting i do not want a delay. I dont even want to be wondering if it's going to happen.

Lehigh is making me a BH209 compatible plug for my two Visions soon. When i chose to hunt with the 52 this year, it delayed that having to be done.
ok,i can see where this is going.lehigh makes good products,i even have one of there breechplugs in an original disc and it's very nice.but on the same note the knight NFPJ i put in another disc rifle has no issues firing blackhorn either.same goes for my triumph.i used to use federal 209a but have switched to standard winchester 209 after last years winter testing showed they worked as well(for me).......karl

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.