Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Blued vs. Stainless >

Blued vs. Stainless

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Blued vs. Stainless

Old 02-06-2011, 07:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

If you take care of either you will not have a rusting problem. Keep them both clean and and lubricated and both will last you a lifetime.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have both and I agree with Bronko. I think you have a little more time with the stainless barrels before they start pitting but I clean both types as soon as possible.
There is something about a blued barrel and a wood stock that is very pleasing to the eye.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 50calty
...............I've never oiled the inside of a barrel.........................I guess that makes Montana a ideal place to have muzzleoaders.
It is my understanding that Montana is the only state without a muzzle loader season.

I may be incorrect, but years ago, in January we hunted does up North with our hand guns, but could have used a muzzle loader during the same late season. I believe at one time, there was a hand gun/muzzle loader season along the Gallatin near Belgrade.

At any rate, all those 45 some years we lived in Missoula, and Great Falls, i never was inclined to purchase a muzzle loader.

When the move was made back to Rapid City, and it was discovered there was a muzzle loader season, during which, one could purchase more than one tag, i immediatley became the owner of a rifle. What a deal that turned out to be.

The conditions here are very much the same as the conditions around Harlo, even though the elevation is less. Rifles don't rust in 5 minutes when out side. My father's Stevens 'Crack Shot' looks the same today, as it did when he gave it to me in 1952. I never owned a stainless rifle until a few months ago.

Worrying about rust is something i have never done much of. However, i do run a oily patch down the barrel of all my rifles, after i clean them. Then i make one pass with a dry patch to sop up the excess oil, and that is the way they are stored. When i go to use a rifle, i just load, and shoot; No swabbing, or firing a primer, or whatever.

A little oil on bare steel, doesn't seem to be a bad thing to me, no matter where one lives, or what the climate.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:37 AM
Spike

I said it before... sort of. Stainless still needs cleaned. It is easier to see that it is clean. However, it is not easier to clean, in my opinion. It takes the same amount of scrubbing, swabbing, and detail, to do the job right. I have one stainless gun and it is a muzzleloader. My other muzzleloaders and every one of my centerfire rifles and shotguns are blued. Not one of them has a rust or corrosion issue because they are properly taken care of and most have been exposed to the elements, including rain and snow. I have nothing against blued or stainless, I own both, but I will never think stainless is much if any advantage over blued, even in a muzzleloader.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:02 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
It is my understanding that Montana is the only state without a muzzle loader season.

I may be incorrect, but years ago, in January we hunted does up North with our hand guns, but could have used a muzzle loader during the same late season. I believe at one time, there was a hand gun/muzzle loader season along the Gallatin near Belgrade.

At any rate, all those 45 some years we lived in Missoula, and Great Falls, i never was inclined to purchase a muzzle loader.

When the move was made back to Rapid City, and it was discovered there was a muzzle loader season, during which, one could purchase more than one tag, i immediatley became the owner of a rifle. What a deal that turned out to be.

The conditions here are very much the same as the conditions around Harlo, even though the elevation is less. Rifles don't rust in 5 minutes when out side. My father's Stevens 'Crack Shot' looks the same today, as it did when he gave it to me in 1952. I never owned a stainless rifle until a few months ago.

Worrying about rust is something i have never done much of. However, i do run a oily patch down the barrel of all my rifles, after i clean them. Then i make one pass with a dry patch to sop up the excess oil, and that is the way they are stored. When i go to use a rifle, i just load, and shoot; No swabbing, or firing a primer, or whatever.

A little oil on bare steel, doesn't seem to be a bad thing to me, no matter where one lives, or what the climate.
Your right, MT doesn't have a late hunt nor a muzzleloader season. I think that is partly why I like hunting with a muzzleloader. Not that many people do it here and its more of a challenge. I suppose your right, alittle oil wouldn't hurt at all inside the barrel. Just something that I was taught about growing up. Most people that I talk to don't do it here. Just never thought that I needed to do it. Will I start doing it? Probably not so much. I have though with my Renegade after it is all dry and clean take alittle bit of bore butter and run that inside. Why do I do this. I have no clue. Just have.