HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Blued vs. Stainless
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2011, 07:26 AM
ronlaughlin
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 50calty
...............I've never oiled the inside of a barrel.........................I guess that makes Montana a ideal place to have muzzleoaders.
It is my understanding that Montana is the only state without a muzzle loader season.

I may be incorrect, but years ago, in January we hunted does up North with our hand guns, but could have used a muzzle loader during the same late season. I believe at one time, there was a hand gun/muzzle loader season along the Gallatin near Belgrade.

At any rate, all those 45 some years we lived in Missoula, and Great Falls, i never was inclined to purchase a muzzle loader.

When the move was made back to Rapid City, and it was discovered there was a muzzle loader season, during which, one could purchase more than one tag, i immediatley became the owner of a rifle. What a deal that turned out to be.

The conditions here are very much the same as the conditions around Harlo, even though the elevation is less. Rifles don't rust in 5 minutes when out side. My father's Stevens 'Crack Shot' looks the same today, as it did when he gave it to me in 1952. I never owned a stainless rifle until a few months ago.

Worrying about rust is something i have never done much of. However, i do run a oily patch down the barrel of all my rifles, after i clean them. Then i make one pass with a dry patch to sop up the excess oil, and that is the way they are stored. When i go to use a rifle, i just load, and shoot; No swabbing, or firing a primer, or whatever.

A little oil on bare steel, doesn't seem to be a bad thing to me, no matter where one lives, or what the climate.