Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
How do I get the breech plug off? >

How do I get the breech plug off?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

How do I get the breech plug off?

Old 01-21-2011, 08:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Paul...As mentioned, there are many ways to clear the barrel of an obstruction...It would be best to have more info though and the #1 question...Is there powder behind the bullet???

After that, is it a flintlock or a percussion...As mentioned, just a little powder (5grs) trickled in the touch hole or in the nipple area will pop out that jag and bullet, assuming it is not loaded...

If it is loaded and a percussion gun, there is a CO-2 kit that will blow out the obstruction...Some guys have also used an air compressor and others have used a grease gun...
Old 01-21-2011, 08:34 AM
Spike

I have tried to push it out with grease it won't work. What happened is some one put a bullet, like a 275 grain short conical down the bore with no powder. Then somehow was able to load another charge on top of it later and was able to get the gun to go off! How this all happened is a mistery to me. So the original conical is REALLY ramed against the back of the plug. So th e guy try's a bullet puller and gets it stuck in there to. Then gives the barrel to me. I have no money in it so I have nothing to lose.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess truth is stranger than fiction. What a ****uation!
Old 01-21-2011, 04:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have a gunsmith here that works strictly on MLs. In fact he has a barrel of mine that he is reaming out, sleeving and re-rifling with a fast twist for big conicals. He is really inexpensive and I am sure he can get that bullet out for you quickly and cheaply. Send mea PM and I will send you his name and phone number.

Last edited by bronko22000; 01-21-2011 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

i had the tool but sold it. they come up on ebay from time to time. send it back. theres a 10 week wait for repairs though. i sent a barrel in for thread work back first week of november. they told me today maybe february.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:59 PM
Spike

I will NEVER AGAIN send anything to T/C. I had the worst customer service from them. If I can't fix it myself I'll use it for a wall hanger gun.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:01 PM
Dominant Buck

have you tried a CO2 discharger?
Old 01-22-2011, 07:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Guys, from what I've read with Paul's post is that the previous owner had dryballed a conical and the there was a powder charge placed on top of it and a PRB. Somehow this load fired and the pressure forced the conical back into the breech somehow and jamming it in there. When a bullet puller was used, it broke off with a piece of the ram rod.
But even so, the design of the breech would lend me to believe it can stll be shot out. I would flush the breech with degreaser (already tried grease to get it out). Let it dry. Take it to the range or other safe place. Remove the flashhole liner or nipple. put in some powder and fire it into the side of a cardboard box (to see if the bullet came out). But first, before firing, check the depth of the bullet with the ramrod. Then again after firing if it didn't come out to see if it moved. If it moved, then you may need a bit more powder. (usually only about 5-10 grs is enough)