Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
T/C Hawken with sabots >

T/C Hawken with sabots

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

T/C Hawken with sabots

Old 01-19-2011, 05:44 PM
Spike

Default T/C Hawken with sabots

I have a T/C Hawken with 1/48 twist barrel in 45 cal. I found some sabots with Barnes bullets from Knight that I forgot that I had but need to know what would be a good load and max load with Goex? The old T/C manual I have doesn't even have a listing for 45cal sabots.
Thanks
Old 01-19-2011, 06:14 PM
Dominant Buck

Well you're going to have to experiment. I would start off with 70 grains and see what happens. Move up in 10 grain amounts until you start to get a group. Then work in smaller amounts of powder from there.

Also don't be disappointed if the rifle does not shoot sabots well. What weight of bullet are you shooting?
Old 01-20-2011, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Well I have been shooting an InvestArms Hawkin Carbine in .54 cal. It has a 1 in 24" twist rate and I am shooting a Barnes Expander sabot as my primary hunting round. I have had success with other conical bullets:

I can't find my targets of the Barnes bullet. I am having a good time shooting the R.E.A.L bullet in this gun. I mold my own on this one and it is a cheap way to stay sharp with my Hawkins.

About the only problem I am having with this gun is my eye sight. These open sights are killing me. It is tough getting old. I will be picking up my Hawkins tonight from my friends house. He has completed putting my Leatherman scope on it and he says it looks good. I will take some pictures and post tomorrow.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

go to the T/C site and click on manuals, then Hawken. They have loads for them now. You can then save it as a pdf file on you computer.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:22 AM
Fork Horn

Many Years ago I shot sabots in a .50 Hawken. With iron sights I felt my max range was 145 yards. It shot very well. It was in the early years of sabots and I used the sabots that came with the .44 240 gr hp from wally world and swapped them for 185 gr hp. I think the slow twist could handle the lighter bullet, but it opened up like a varmint load on deer.

See how the light bullets shoot compared to heavier. Bet the light group better for you.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rafsob
Well I have been shooting an InvestArms Hawkin Carbine in .54 cal. It has a 1 in 24" twist rate and I am shooting a Barnes Expander sabot as my primary hunting round. I have had success with other conical bullets:

I can't find my targets of the Barnes bullet. I am having a good time shooting the R.E.A.L bullet in this gun. I mold my own on this one and it is a cheap way to stay sharp with my Hawkins.

About the only problem I am having with this gun is my eye sight. These open sights are killing me. It is tough getting old. I will be picking up my Hawkins tonight from my friends house. He has completed putting my Leatherman scope on it and he says it looks good. I will take some pictures and post tomorrow.
I am bettin that rifle would shoot the 460 gr no excuse or bullshops fantastic.i know all about old eyes also lol. Ray
Old 01-22-2011, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by builder459
I am bettin that rifle would shoot the 460 gr no excuse or bullshops fantastic.i know all about old eyes also lol. Ray

Lately, I have been shooting the R.E.A.L conicals. I pure my own and it is much cheaper to do this. I use them for practising. Though, these conicals are very accurate.

As to the eye sight, I have just mounted a Malcolm style 3x Leatherwood scope on her and am in the process of sighting it in. I am having some problems, but will get her done.