Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
197 Yard Dead Deer. No Blood Again >

197 Yard Dead Deer. No Blood Again

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

197 Yard Dead Deer. No Blood Again

Old 01-12-2011, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I suspect the .250 gr barnes bullet didn't have enough energy at 200 yds to exit, with the 100 gr load. a 300 gr bullet probably would have. got a picture of the bullet expansion? nice deer, enjoy the meat.. Ray
Old 01-12-2011, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrat's on your Big Fat Fine Eatin Doe!
A Nice Story but something bothed Me, and it may have been just Me, But you said you have shot your Mler at 100yds but never tried it out to 200yds. Im sorry but never in a Million years would have I taken that shot if I had not shot My MLer at that distance befor. It's just that there's a Big differnce from 100 to 200yds and a-lot could have gone wrong not knowing what to expect as you never shot that far with your Mler.
Im glad all worked out well for you on the shot.
(BP)
Old 01-12-2011, 08:22 AM
Typical Buck

Congrats! I wouldn't worry about the blood. The deers heart didn't have a chance to pump any out. If it had ran 100 yards with no blood, that may have been a different story.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:05 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Doug100g
Well, I just wanted to thank everyone on puting me on the right track to use blackhorn 209 and Barns expanders to harvest my last deer.

Today was my last day to hunt with muzzleloader. I did not have much hope because I have not even seen a deer in the last two weeks. As a matter of fact, I went fishing most of the day through 12 inches of ice because I had little faith..lol

But, my friend told me I should at least try one more time because this is the last day and a snow storm has started which might move the deer early in the afternoon. So after fishing I went to a soy field and popped up a camo tent under a large tree.

My shots would be 240 yards or less.

The fun part was I brought my propane heater to stay warm. It was 80 degrees in my tent and 12 degrees outside...lol

I just sat back, relaxed and enjoyed the snow. It was a scene for an outdoor novel. Just beautiful.

I had the worst wind to. Strong east wind which forced me to stay south of the hunting point. However, it was this move that placed me on track for the best hunt I have had in a long time.

I have never shot at a deer past 120 yards. And I have never used a barns bullet to harvest a deer. But today, that all changed.

The deer came out an hour early, and began eating aprox 250 yards away. They moved diagonal to my blind and made it to within 200 yards. They stayed and fed in that area as light began to burn.

I had to make a choice. Shoot now or risk going over legal shooting time.

My T/C Omega is dead on at 100 yards. But has never been tested at 200.

I had to use 9 power on my Nikon Omega BDC, in order to see the sweet pocket of the boiler room.

Once the smoke cleared the deer layed right were I had shot it. 197 yards is my longest shot ever.

Once I walked up to the deer, I noticed no blood. No Blood! I could not even find the entrance wound. Jeeeeeze! Even sledding the deer for a mile in snow, we had little blood come out. This was my problem with XTP. Oh, well.

After we field dressed the deer we found out why the deer died so quick. It's heart was cut off. And it's lungs were liquefied. It looked like wet soup.

The entrance hole was plugged by medial shoulder fat. And the bullet never exited the hide of the opposite side. All its energy was delivered inside the deer.

I must say. I guess I just have to get over not seeing blood trails on muzzleloader deer. I should just be happy it kills them...lol

The doe weighed 172 lbs, and was covered in fat.

The best part was coming home and cleaning the gun. Breech plug came right out and cleaned east with hoppes.

Sorry for the bad pics. But it was snowing and cold and all I had was my cell phone for pics.

D
Glad you got the deer, but to much luck involved here. Sorry but things could have easily gone from bad to worst, quickly!
Old 01-12-2011, 10:10 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by oldsmellhound
I'll have to remember the trick about bringing a propane heater in the blind. I was freezing my butt off on Saturday....
LOL. I could have stayed out all day. I wonder if the deer can smell the propane? I use a Mr. Heater for fishing all the time, but never for hunting. I see them use heaters for hunting late season on DVD movies, so I figure, it must come down to anything else. Play the wind. I am sure if they can smell the propane burn off they already have smelled me.

I think once you try it, you will love it.

D
Old 01-12-2011, 10:39 AM
Typical Buck

Congrats on the last minute deer. I got to hunt in Ohio about 5 years ago and that is when I bought my first inline muzzleloader. I didn't have a suitable slug gun and didn't really need one, but I did need a good muzzleloader. I was lucky and got a big doe my first day out. I must say, Ohio does are huge compared to Virginia does.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:40 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Breechplug
Congrat's on your Big Fat Fine Eatin Doe!
A Nice Story but something bothed Me, and it may have been just Me, But you said you have shot your Mler at 100yds but never tried it out to 200yds. Im sorry but never in a Million years would have I taken that shot if I had not shot My MLer at that distance befor. It's just that there's a Big differnce from 100 to 200yds and a-lot could have gone wrong not knowing what to expect as you never shot that far with your Mler.
Im glad all worked out well for you on the shot.
(BP)
I know what you mean. When I harvested that buck this year at 120 yards the shot was right where I put it. But this shot was farther, and I had some wind to deal with.

The gun shoots perfect at 100 yards and at 120. So I aimed 4 inches right to compensate for the east wind, and a 2 inches higher than Normal for height adjustment.

Bow hunting really helps my gun skills. I primarilly shoot bow. My friends and I do a lot of ground hog hunting in the spring with riffles and that helps to. This year all our ground hog hunting will be done by muzzleloader at 150 to 200 yards. That should help build confidence.

And BH 209 is so consistent. I can shoot the same load over and over and get the same results.

Thanks again to all that helped me.

D
Old 01-12-2011, 10:50 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by ADVWannabee
I must say, Ohio does are huge compared to Virginia does.
Yes our does are monsters. Last year I harvested a doe just under 200 pounds. My son got one at 170 this year to.

So many food sources for them. Acorns, corn, soy, clover, ext. There were so many acorns this year it was like a brown carpet all over the woods in NE Ohio.

They are always fat and sassy. Them bucks are just 50 pounds heaver, but the girls can give them a run for the money...lol

D
Old 01-13-2011, 09:37 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Doug100g
LOL. I could have stayed out all day. I wonder if the deer can smell the propane? I use a Mr. Heater for fishing all the time, but never for hunting. I see them use heaters for hunting late season on DVD movies, so I figure, it must come down to anything else. Play the wind. I am sure if they can smell the propane burn off they already have smelled me.

I think once you try it, you will love it.

D
That is good to know I received one for christmas to use in my blind and I cannot wait to use it. As far as deer smelling it, I would not worry, I have pissed by my stand, cooked food by my stand and they all seem to show up just fine. All this scent stuff is out of hand in my opinion, if you play the wind is the real key.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

First off let me say nice deer and a huge doe at that.

Now as to the shot. The most probable reason why the Barnes didn't get a through and through was the distance. I can assure you that this bullet is more then capable of doing a lot of damage. I think you experienced it when you dressed out your doe.

I have shot three deer and found the same damage, bloody jello. You said the bullet was still in the doe. Did it expand? I would think not by much if it did.

This is only one of the entrance and exit wounds I have gotten with the same bullet:

Bullet goes in:

Bullet comes out:

Now this was done at a distance of 80 yards. When I dressed this doe, it was nothing but liquid jello inside.

I may be wrong, but I think you must remember that the level of energy at that distance is very low and you did just fine. Your setup worked just great and yuo ended up with meat on the table. Way to go pal.

Happy eating!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.