Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Got A Light?

Old 01-10-2011, 09:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Got A Light?

Everyone needs a good light to inspect muzzle loader bores (never go to a gun show without one). There are two different ones that I like a lot. Just drop them down the bore to check its condition. Both will fit in bores as small as .32 caliber.

The handiest one is the "Super Ray" from O'Reilly Auto Parts. It's about $10. It's well made and will last a lifetime. I also use it to walk to and from my deer stand in the dark.

Another option is the tiny little BEACON light used for night fishing with bobbers. It's about $3 and should be available in the fishing department of your local WalMart or any well stocked sporting goods store. This one is so small you can keep one in your wallet.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can't find the little night fishing lights anymore.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:17 PM
Banned

my brother made me one with a 38" long wire and a white led light. Tiny light bulb so i can stick it into primer pockets or bolsters and see that they are clear.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:50 AM
Fork Horn

Awesome lights Semi!!

Like Corey, I havn't been able to locate the fishing light. Up here in the NE we don't have any O'Reilly Auto Parts either. For years I have used an old single cell AAA Key chain size Mag-light. I believe it was part of a keychain gizmo at one time and is just under .5 in dia. works in .50 and up.

Ken
Old 01-11-2011, 05:44 AM
Fork Horn

Walmart sells, (or used to?) a small light near the check-out counters. It is powered by 3 small batteries, and comes with 6 batteries. Has a flex tube, a laser, magnetic base and a pocket clip. For around $4.00 !. I am always skeptical about junk sold near checkout counters but what is four bucks, the next time I went in a Walmart that had them I bought 4 more! Great little lights with a ton of uses, including checking bores.
Attached Thumbnails Got A Light?-lillight.jpg  

Last edited by romat; 01-11-2011 at 06:00 AM.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:05 AM
Dominant Buck

I purchased two of them lights. Currently I am down to one because my father happened to see them in my gun area, started playing with one, and commented to me numerous times, when I would listen... This flash light would be so handy. Just keep one of them lights in your pocket. As he further explained, it seems you always need a flashlight just to look somewhere you just can't see and can never find one. After listening to him over and over, and since he did not seem to want to put it down, I put one of my two in his pocket and told him to take it home with him.

They make a great bore light, are very bright, easy to carry, when working with your hands, you put that in your mouth like a cigarette and you can aim where you are looking.. Just a great light.

Thanks Semisane.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

here is the an sale price for on of the fishing lights I think someone put the wrong original sale price down wrong.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00015HAP2/...SIN=B00015HAP2
Old 01-11-2011, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Semi how can you use the light to see the (Breech) area of a MLer with the light? I can see if you drop the light into the Bore then you'll only see from the top of the light up in the Barrel, but that leaves the bottom where the lights sitting un seen.
Or can you just shine the light down into the Bore and see to the bottom of the Barrel to the Breech Area?
The reason Im asking is I only own 1 Side Hammer, a 50Cal Dixie Gun Works 50cal, I know it's in fine shape because I take care of it and dont need to inspect the bore. Now My Uncle has a TC 50cal Whit Mountain Carbine He's trying to sell for a Friend of His, at Christmas I looked at the MLer and the outside was almost new condition, but at the Muzzle end I saw a very slight discoloration of what looked like rust to me in the Barrel. I tried to look into it with a flashlight (it's all I had) and I just could'nt see down the Barrel to see what shape it was really in.
I know if you drop one of them bore lights into the barrel you can see from the light up in the Barrel but how can I see the Breech Area with one of these, what am I missing here? I'd really like to see the Breech Area as that's where Im sure most damage is done if there is any.
(BP)
Old 01-11-2011, 09:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Breechplug, putting the light down the bore with the bulb facing the breech allows you to "kinda" see the breech, but not well enough to tell much. I've always kinda figured the breech area would be in pretty much the same condition as the bore. A close inspection of the breech would require a bore scope (a visit to a gunsmith who has one?).
Old 01-11-2011, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
Breechplug, putting the light down the bore with the bulb facing the breech allows you to "kinda" see the breech, but not well enough to tell much. I've always kinda figured the breech area would be in pretty much the same condition as the bore. A close inspection of the breech would require a bore scope (a visit to a gunsmith who has one?).
Thank's Semi. it's kinda like I figured.
(BP)