Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
.25 ACP Conversion Question >

.25 ACP Conversion Question

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

.25 ACP Conversion Question

Old 01-05-2011, 04:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Question .25 ACP Conversion Question

I’ve often heard about the vari-flame adaptor or converting your ML so it can use .25/.32 ACP primers, as a way to lessen the crud ring, and improve performance/accuracy. I’ve read the claims on the Precision Rifle website. However, particularly with the PR website, discussion of BH209 is conspicuously absent. It also appears the site has not been updated since 2004.

So my question is this: Is there any advantage these conversions if you are dedicated to shooting BH209? On the flip side, given that BH209 typically likes a hot primer, would the conversion be detrimental to your shooting?

Thanks,
Old 01-05-2011, 05:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ask Cecil, last i heard his response was. "There is a reason they call it 209".

BUT....

Ive heard from several people that some of the ACP conversions work fine, although i have no idea how cold of weather they have used them in either. A friend with a converted T/C swears his is flawless with BH209. He opened up the flash hole in the brass or so he claimed. I would like to see some hard data on this too and with variations such as the 6mm/LRP case conversion. Ive used WinT7s with BH209 without an issue in a well designed BP but they are twice as hot as a SPP or SRP.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 01-05-2011 at 05:56 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hubby11
.................................So my question is this: Is there any advantage these conversions if you are dedicated to shooting BH209? On the flip side, given that BH209 typically likes a hot primer, would the conversion be detrimental to your shooting? Thanks,
Myself, i don't believe there is much of an advantage to these conversion, if one is only going to use BH. Like you wrote, there could actually be a disadvantage.

Some have written that the small rifle magnum primer will be reliable igniting BH. I do know the standard small pistol primer will not ignite BH. I have never tried a magnum primer, so i have really no idea if they would work. By using these conversion one could make a plug with a huge flame channel, if one so desires. Perhaps this would be an advantage. Another possible advantage, may be that it would be easier to 'handle' the brass in the field, than a 209 primer. I have dropped 209 primer into the snow, a time or two.

If i run out of chores to do this winter, i probably will make a breech plug to accept 25acp brass, and test it with BH, using small rifle magnum primer. However, i haven't ever run out of chores very many times in the past.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's my understanding this conversion was created to help with the infamous 777 crud ring. and everything i have read states not advised for use with BH 209.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks! So I'll save my money for some more BH209.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:31 PM
Typical Buck

If you have an T C withe the standard thread and would like to try one I have 3 made I would send you one.