Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Anybody getting thier " magnum"  Rifles to shoot well >

Anybody getting thier " magnum" Rifles to shoot well

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Anybody getting thier " magnum" Rifles to shoot well

Old 07-22-2003, 04:54 PM
bigcountry

Default Anybody getting thier " magnum" Rifles to shoot well

last year, I shot three deer with my Wolverine. 95gr prydex and 240gr XTP sabot, then changed to 250 barnes. Both ran >80yards or more before finding. And sadly I looked and looked and couldn' t find one. But all the deer I shot with my shotgun and rifle, was easily scooped up within 25 yards. Even my bow kills was very managable. I after examining the damage on the deer while butchering, a muzzleloader don' t do too much damage compared to a slug and definately a 270Win. All where broadsided boiler room shots beside the one I lost which I freehanded an 75yard shot and think I got the shoulder. It even got to the point, that a monster was 100 yards away, I wouldn' t shoot cause it wasn' t a perfect broadsided shot.

I figured I need more power. But everyone I talk to said they don' t get great accuracy from 150gr of powder. Most my buddy can shoot and get 4" groups at 100 yards is 130gr. His velocity is around 2kfps with 240 XTP' s. So I am considering the Savage. What kinda velocities are you guys getting out of 150gr of pyrodex and the smokeless out of the savage? Or maybe it was a bunch of coinsidenses and I don' t need a new gun. I went thru this when upgrading from my T/C to my wolverine too. Seemed to work like a champ for years and then starting to feel I needed something to shoot sabots.

Old 07-22-2003, 05:19 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Anybody getting thier " magnum" Rifles to shoot well

Bigcountry, don' t really know if you upgraded going to a wolerine from a T/C.But muzzleloaders are accurate and are very capable of harvesting even large game(elk,moose,brown bear,heck even cape buffalo).You have probably heard this before but I will say it again,just because something works well out of one gun doesn' t mean it will work out of yours.You need to try verious different load combinations to find out which shoots best from your gun.Don' t assume your gun won' t shoot 150 gr.,try it and find out.I would start low and work my way up.Part of the fun of muzzleloading is exprimenting and finding that perfect load for your particular gun.Good luck
Old 07-22-2003, 05:54 PM
bigcountry

No, my muzzleloader is an old Wolverine. Got it in 1997. Can' t shoot 150gr or bad things might happen. I am just wondering about accuracy out of the new " magnum" rifles. I want some more velocity. I havested dozens with the Wolverine. Just want some more umf. So did with the T/C with round balls. But notice they fall quicker with the sabots. I get 2" groups with my wolverine.

Old 07-22-2003, 06:17 PM
Typical Buck

Bigcounrty, If you want more umph go to a heavier grain bullet you may loose a little down range trajectory,but with a heavy bullet you will tip um quick.Try some perssision bullets.If you call them they will guide you to what you are trying to accomplish.Phone#is 204-866-2206
Old 07-22-2003, 07:45 PM

http://www.prbullet.com/ Here is the web site on percision bullet never herd a bad thing and they work no magnum charge is required.
Old 07-22-2003, 08:20 PM
Dominant Buck

All my friends that have rifles able to handle the 150 grain loads never shoot that large of a charge. They claim they can not get the accuracy they would want to feel comfortable shooting at longer ranges. I personally shoot round ball or a 300 grain conical out of a sidelock with up to 90 grains. I have never had a problem taking deer down with even a round ball. Is that common that the rifles that " can handle 150 grains" do not usually shoot that kind of a load? I would think in bigcountry' s case perhaps a different bullet might be all the answer he needs. I have shot one deer with w 426 grain buffalo bullet out of my .54 caliber, and after seeing the massive wound channel decided that I would not use them again. That is why I went to the 300 grain that I make myself.
Old 07-23-2003, 04:59 AM
Dominant Buck

bigcountry ,
I have a Traditions Lightning Mag in .50 cal. , and I don' t use the full load while hunting . Normally I shoot 2 Pyrodex pellets with a 240 grain XTP hollow point . Last year I got cocky and put 3 pellets in it on one trip and overshot a nice little 6 point at embarrassingly close range . Despite having a 3" muzzle brake the amount of muzzle flip , combined with incorrectly set sights , sent the bullet just over his shoulder . I did get some hair though LOL . Magnum loads won' t improve your chances in the field even if you' re used to them , and waste powder . Find the bullet / load your gun likes and stick to it , deer run some times no matter what you hit them with . Muzzleloaders aren' t centerfire rifles , know what yours can do so that you can shoot with confidence . I never try for shots over 100 yds with mine , even broadsides . Besides , I like the challenge of calling them in close for a high percentage shot that will take them down cleanly .
Old 07-23-2003, 07:42 AM
bigcountry

I know the load combo that works like a champ in this wolverine and would be happy to put it up against people with muzzleloaders at 3 times the price. Shut a few guys up with Whites last year myself. Accuracy isn' t the issue. The real issue is land. Before my very eyes, I have noticed in the last 20 years its is 10X harder to hunt. Before you hit in the lungs, and you find em. No big deal. Now, its you hit in the lungs and pray he don' t run into the next hunter, or on the other hunters land.

But thats what I figured. There is no way around it. Take the 1500fps and be happy I guess. But there is still the savage option. They seem to have umf, and from what I seen accurate.

Old 07-23-2003, 08:08 AM
Typical Buck

Bigcountry, do yourself a favor and contact the percision bullet people they have bullets designed to do what you want.I beleive their QT bullets may be what you are looking for.
Old 07-23-2003, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Contacting Cecil at prbullet.com is not a good idea for many White & Knight owners -- depending on individual bore sizes. There were a couple posters who got a reply from Cecil stating that Whites & Knights are overbore rifles & precision bullets are generally not tailored for it. That' s why Knight rifles shot poorly in a preliminary shooting to determine what rifles would qualify for their Championship and Big Game Hunt.

I suggest buying White bullets for White guns & Knight sabot/bullets for Knight guns.... or buy Knight & White plastic sabots & place Precision bullets in them. Other than that, check other bullet manufacturers for specs on bullet size. Just my opinion!

Quick Reply: Anybody getting thier " magnum" Rifles to shoot well

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.