Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Need a little help.... >

Need a little help....

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Need a little help....

Old 01-02-2011, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Need a little help....

I've always shot a TC Cal 50 Hawken. Last year, the Hawken had some "technical difficulties" resulting in it ending up on the shelf. I was given a Traditions Buckhunter a few years back, and had never shot it.

I bought some bullets and headed to the range. I shot 240 Gr Hornady's pushed by 100 grains of Pyrodex. The groups were OK...but not what I had expected. I killed a couple deer with it last year and a couple more this year.

Problem is......I'd like to increase my effective range with this gun. I put a 4X Unertl on it this year, and I'm getting 2" groups at 50 yards and unacceptable groups at 100. I didn't have time to mess with bullet/powder combinations...so I need to know where to start.

I'm going to convert it to a 209 primer...and I was wondering:

1. What powder would you recommend that I get? Triple 7, American Pioneer, the Shockey stuff?

2. Give me a good bullet that will expand. I know that I may need to experiment...but give me a starting place.

Until the last year and a half, it's been patch and ball for me, so I'm a little behind the times. I also shot a recurve until a couple years ago...and I just recently got my first cell phone. LOL

I did kill over 25 deer with that T/C Hawken, so I am familiar with muzzleloading...but I am ready to progress.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Did you try lesser loads, like 80-90 with the pyrodex? nothing wrong with the XTP your shooting,the gold dot .451 250 gr bullet is a better bullet at about the same price.you might try it with some mmp-24 or 12's depending on what your bore likes.777 is good powder, you might try it and start at about 80 gr and work up from there. what distances are you normally shooting at where you hunt. Ray
Old 01-02-2011, 03:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

My Knight prefers 80grs of Goex or Pyrodex...Back her down a bit and see what she does...
Old 01-02-2011, 04:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

thats right proline. dont get into the magnm hype. 80 gr will kill em just as dead. also you may want to consider using 300 gr xtps.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Normally my shots around home in Ohio are under 75 yards...probably average around 50.

My farm in WV may have some longer shots...around 100 or maybe longer.

It's funny. I shot 75 grains for 25 years in my Hawken...and I just assumed that more powder would be better.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

You have to experiment and find the Sweet Load for your MLer, you cant just expect to load what you have and have it put 1"groups at 100yds, unless your real Lucky. I have Zero Experience with a Traditions MLer, but I do use the 240gr XTP and it works well for me. What Sabots are you using with the XTP? I use the Black MMP HPH-24's with them. I also use Pyrodox Powder (RS) and also Pyro Pellets. With the Powder I use 110gr's but as mentioned try starting at say 85gr's and work your way up. Also you may get a Bullet that gives you excellant Accuracy but POOR Results on a Deer.
Ask 20 different Guy's on here what Bullet and Powder Combo's they use and you'll get 20 different answers. Only your MLer know's what it likes and You will have to find that out, after you do then it's all easy peasy. Also a Good Scope and a Good Rest is a must befor going other routes, make sure it's not one of them befor trying something else.
Best of Luck to You!
(BP)