Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Help buying a new muzzy >

Help buying a new muzzy

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Help buying a new muzzy

Old 12-29-2010, 01:32 PM
Spike

I was reading the spec. on the CVA combo, it said the ML barrel was 29' 1 IN 28 Twist. I wounder why the 29"...is it just something to make their gun different or what. Also I was wondering if anyone has shot conicals out of one and how did it do?
Old 12-31-2010, 11:58 AM
Spike

Thumbs up Muzzle Loaders- new to the forum

In early December I bought the bottom of the line Traditions inline muzzy, just to get a feel of whether I wanted to get into it or not. Idaho has a season that gives a person a better chance at an elk than you normally have during center fire (lots of pressure out there).

Anyway, I am looking for in the $200-$300 range for either a side lock percussion B.P. riffle kit or an inline that breaks open like a shot gun exposing the breach block and nipple. In Idaho #11 caps are required and the nipple has to be exposed when closed (they put a notch in the action above the nipple on these).

The Traditions one I bought has a 1 in 28 twist and a 26 inch barrel.I shoot a 355 grn. conical bullet with 85 grains of FFg. I am having a hard time grouping my shots at 100yds. They are in an area the size of a volleyball. Not good. I normally group in an area the size of a quarter with my scoped riffles. I have a dot scope on my Traditions because of my vision problems with iron sights. Anyway, I am leaning toward a slower 1 in 48 twist because of my bad grouping with the 1 in 28. Could the bullet be jumping lands?

Your input for this newbe to the forum and black powder weapons would be appreciated.

Have a great New Year.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:03 PM
Banned

change bullets.

Powerbelts are available in all lead, hornady great plains, bull shop, no excuses, tc maxi balls. Lots of stuff available.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:30 PM
Spike

Thanks MD 54. I will try grouping with my powerbells and see if that does it. Regular soft lead conicals I am casting might not work in that fast of a twist.

I watched the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WMtSe7RUeE that a member put on Youtube and he said something that made sense. After my second shot with my in line I noticed that the bullet did not seat as far and it got worse as I continued to reload and shoot. The sixth round without cleaning was a misfire. He said that with the resistance and buildup in the chamber end of the barrel, the accuracy gets worse so when shooting paper he cleans his CV Wolf after every shot. Good advice. My first two shots were only two inches apart, but it was after that it started to wander and get harder to push the bullet down to the bottom.

I like the design of the CV Wolf and will be wandering over to Wally World to check one out. My Traditions is the pits to take down and clean and quite time consuming.

Thanks
Old 12-31-2010, 12:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

megabucks

A couple of thoughts...

I have a dot scope on my Traditions because of my vision problems with iron sights.
I am not sure that a Red Dot is legal in Idaho either.... So I am assuming that yu have done the paper work for the state.

Anyway, I am leaning toward a slower 1 in 48 twist because of my bad grouping with the 1 in 28. Could the bullet be jumping lands?
I would really stay with the 1/28 twist. It provides you far more versitilty. The 1/48 twist is designed to be OK with conicals and round balls.

Groups - there can be several possibilties starting with the Red Dot... There is somewhat of a learning curve shooting a red dot. So next have you check to make sure the rings and bases are secure?

How much many conicals have you shot from the bore... Is it possible that you may have lead fouling to the point that allows the projectile to skip the lands and grooves?

Were it me and I new everything was tight and the bore was cleared, I would really just shoot a 25 yard target and see what type of 5 shot group you might get at that point. If you are getting a ragged hole for a group move to 50...

You might consider another projectile also, for our season up here I shoot a .503/460 grain Bull Shop lead conical. They are extremly accurate for me and definitely an elk slayer. I, like you, am shooting a 1/28 twist rifle.

One last question if you were shooting at 25 yards could you shoot using the open sights that are on the rifle? That would be another check of the red dot?

And the last possibility is there may be a problem in the rifle itself. I am trying to guess which Traditions that you might be using as most of their inlines are 209 ignition... Is it a Deer Hunter? and looking at that maybe you are not even using a red dot?

Lots of questions from N. Idaho...