Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Sighting in new muzzleloader >

Sighting in new muzzleloader

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Sighting in new muzzleloader

Old 12-29-2010, 07:56 PM
Dominant Buck

If you're hunting around home, you can run into about any kind of shooting situation there is, from very close jump shooting to open field shooting. (I used to live there).

Personally, take the average shot you normally expect where you hunt. Then take the distance you are will to shoot after you practice a lot. From that you can sight in. For instance, I live in Northern Wisconsin and most my shots are 50 yards or less in the Balsam, Cedars, Ash and marsh thickets. Once in a while I hunt a friends farm where I have some open field shooting.

But on average I sight in at 75 yards. Because then I am never too far off out to 100 yards. Now that we can use magnified scopes I am going to tune two of my inlines for very long distance shooting, should I ever hunt the hay fields.

So just think of what you are willing to shoot and what you experience and sight in according. Normally a safe distance to sight in is 100 yards dead on.