Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
JB Bore Paste & oils >

JB Bore Paste & oils

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

JB Bore Paste & oils

Old 12-15-2010, 12:51 PM
Spike

Default JB Bore Paste & oils

I have a bunch of bore paste left over from when I cleaned out my air rifle a few years ago - but I don't really remember the process or remember if it's different for bp. I assume I need a brass jag, load it up, scrub from the breech 100 times and then clean with hoppes #9 or similar?

Speaking of oils. Based on chuckhawks.com - I bought some CLP breakfree - is it much different from #9 or g96? I have a problem with buying accessories...

And... what is the proper cleaning procedure? Solvent, oil, dry patch? Or do you want to leave the oil in to coat the barrel?

Last edited by OzarkPA; 12-15-2010 at 12:56 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's a video for you. I don't know about these pellets he talks about.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=1...G_Bore_Pellets
Old 12-15-2010, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

JB and oil is fantastic for cleaning barrels.i use a cut down scotch brite pad on a cleaning jag about 30 strokes.wipe it all out after that with patches, then i clean it with 50/50 windex and alcohol.then a thin coat of oil before i put it up.brownells sells kroil and JB in a package just for this purpose. buddy of mine that builds rifles turned me on to it.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:07 PM
Spike

I saw that video - but I don't have fancy rig either.... On that scotch brite pad - is that the green scrubby sheet - I assume you have to roll it up to get to the .50 size?
Old 12-15-2010, 08:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

No i use older worn ones and keep them instead of throwing them away. i cut it so it fits around the jag, oil it then apply JB.and work it in the bore just like on the video.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:35 PM
Spike

Now that things have slowed down a little - I'm going to give the JB a go on my barrel.

Quick questions:

I don't have a bore guide - should I get one first?

Is it better to remove the breech plug and scrub from there? I think it would be better to prevent damaging the muzzle..
Old 07-14-2011, 10:40 PM
Banned

i use gun scrubber to clean out the jb paste afterward. Normally 1 patch using both sides gets it done.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:37 AM
Typical Buck

To get the benefit of JB it needs to be a tight patch fit. I use a 50 Cal brush with a patch or two and push from muzzle to breech with breech plug in. If you do it with the bp out the patch will get hung up on the threads. If you try from breech end then the patch will not fit through the threads. Once your done JB'in clean the barrel with oil then remove the plug and get all the JB out of it. Just remember to start the process by oiling the bore before JB'in. It should make your arms sore and give you a good cardio workout if done correctly.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

It is always better to clean from the breech end. As for using JB - I only use this sparingly. Normally on a new barrel to remove any microscopic burrs and then when accuracy begins to falter. Excessive use of JB can round out the edges of the rifling and cause unrepairable damage. (even the JB container says to use sparingly)
However, Omega is correct so for a ML I would guess you should clean from the muzzle.

Last edited by bronko22000; 07-15-2011 at 04:44 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by OzarkPA
I have a bunch of bore paste left over from when I cleaned out my air rifle a few years ago - but I don't really remember the process or remember if it's different for bp. I assume I need a brass jag, load it up, scrub from the breech 100 times and then clean with hoppes #9 or similar?

Speaking of oils. Based on chuckhawks.com - I bought some CLP breakfree - is it much different from #9 or g96? I have a problem with buying accessories...

And... what is the proper cleaning procedure? Solvent, oil, dry patch? Or do you want to leave the oil in to coat the barrel?

I just completed that operation on a rifle sent to me. One thing I would suggest about oils if it contains Teflon - Do not use it...

Anyway this is what i do...

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blac...ift-scope.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.