Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
JB Bore Paste & oils >

JB Bore Paste & oils

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

JB Bore Paste & oils

Old 07-18-2011, 08:04 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by sabotloader
I just completed that operation on a rifle sent to me. One thing I would suggest about oils if it contains Teflon - Do not use it...
My CLP Breakfree says it has PTFE (teflon) in it - what is the problem with teflon in the barrel?
Old 07-19-2011, 03:36 AM
Dominant Buck

I have used JB's paste for years. It really does smooth things out nice. Like most, I clean the barrel spotless before I start (or as good as it will get in the case of a rusted barrel). Then I use gun oil and oil the bore real good.

I change my patch of JB's usually after 25 strokes (up and down) and depending on the nature of the barrel will usually determine how many strokes a barrel gets. One barrel needed 200 strokes. Most 50 is good.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

OzarkPA

Teflon has a bad reaction during combustion. Try burning a Teflon coated pan sometime. Using T7 it makes the crud ring more pronounced. Using BH209, the fouling becomes almost gummy and can harden as it cools.

It provides ZERO benefit IN the bore vs any good synthetic oil without it. Even Mobil1 Auto oil would provide better internal protection. If you are going to use it IN the bore just make sure you swab it out very well before shooting and it probably wont be an issue.

I used common Brake Cleaner to remove it one day as a test and it worked great. be careful not to get it on your stock or plastics though. Just running a dry patch and snapping a primer/s is my usual pre fire routine. Now i use Montana products for short term storage and all those issues went away. Any good synthetic oil without Teflon will likely give you similar results.

Oddly there is a technique using the hated BoreButter that can reduce the crud ring too. I did it by accident using it for years in my old ThunderHawk. That gun can shoot at least 5 shots and gets almost no crud ring with T7. I didn't put 2 and 2 together until i read Sabotloaders BB technique and it all made sense then.

Try the Montana X Bore condition for at least three range sessions and see if you get good results. I THINK most have seen an improvement vs Remoil or other Teflon based products. I still use RemOil on many part but never in the bore anymore.

As far as JBs, 50-200 strokes seems to be the norm depending on your needs. I also use MX Copper Cream and the MX bore paste once in a while too. The Copper Cream is also good at removing sabot fouling although ive never had that issue in mine.

I now firmly believe a well polished bore solves or greatly helps a lot of fouling, loading and cleaning issues. Plus may improve performance too. My hand lapped Douglas barrel produces better fps than a JBed Savage barrel and they are very close in length...at least according to the archived reviews ive found. The loading difference "feel" is like night and day.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 07-19-2011 at 05:39 AM.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:53 PM
Spike

I don't have a bore guide - should I be ok if I'm careful? I'm antsy to try this out on my gun with my new spinjag ... the bloody bruises on my palm from loading the barnes 290gr TEZ's lasted for a couple weeks
Old 07-19-2011, 03:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by OzarkPA
I don't have a bore guide - should I be ok if I'm careful? I'm antsy to try this out on my gun with my new spinjag ... the bloody bruises on my palm from loading the barnes 290gr TEZ's lasted for a couple weeks
As many strokes as you are going to do - I really suggest a bore guide - you do not want marr the crown...
Old 07-19-2011, 05:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Here's a quick easy freebie for you Ozark. Search around your house for a screw on plastic bottle top that fits over the muzzle of your gun - shampoo bottles, pill bottles, etc. You should be able to find something that fits fairly well, though you may have to cut a notch for the sight. Drill a hole slightly larger than the diameter of your ramrod in the center of the bottle top. Holy cheapass Batman! A make-do muzzle protector.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:53 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Semisane
Holy cheapass Batman!
Oh crap! You may be semisane, but I think I just pissed myself - too funny!