Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Winchester Triple Seven Primers VS Winchester W209 Primers >

Winchester Triple Seven Primers VS Winchester W209 Primers

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Winchester Triple Seven Primers VS Winchester W209 Primers

Old 12-13-2010, 09:16 AM
Spike

Its still brand new in the box.. and will be testing ti for the first time this week.. trying to gather eveything I need and Info on what I might need.... do u you the ram rod to attach the patches?
Old 12-13-2010, 09:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

i tried the Winchester 777 primers with 777 and Goex Pinnacle powders. Those Winchester 777 primers made the 777 crud ring much worse and they resulted in vertical stringing, which is a sign of inconsistent ignition.

When used with Goex Pinnacle powder; the Winchester 777 primers gave vertical stringing and made a crud ring where there was none before.

No more wimpy primers for me.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by caribsteve
Its still brand new in the box.. and will be testing ti for the first time this week.. trying to gather eveything I need and Info on what I might need.... do u you the ram rod to attach the patches?
Your mid is working qucker than your fingers on the key board... I totally share that disease.

I would suggest then you start with a box of T7 primers unless they are so overpriced that you should just buy the w209. I use the T7 primers in about every rifle I shoot and really have no problems with them at all. But everyone wil have there thoughts. I can show target after target where they have been used.

I think you asking and I would replie - you do need the a combination loading and cleaning jag for your ram rod. In this picture you can see I have modified my gun rod to allow the installation and storage of the jag in the gun. You also might want a T handle to screw in to the other end of the rod. Eventually you will probably buy a range rod to work with in a non-hunting situation.

Another suggestion... if you are just starting this sport the quickest way to get started is with pellets and power belts, but as soon as you gain the confidence make a switch to loose powder and really loose the power belts - they are a bullet but way at the bottom of the list...

Also - please PM cayugad and ask hime for his list of supplies and materials that you might need to get started.... He is a master at it.

Just thought i would throw this up... this target was shot with a bunch of different primers. You can see the poi shifted a little bit with the different primers but the groups hang right in there....

Last edited by sabotloader; 12-13-2010 at 09:37 AM.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:38 AM
Spike

Pretty Cool (sabotloader ) Yes yes... mind is always moving.

is there something about the Powerbelts do don't like?? what do you use?

I might just invest in a range rod and take i t from there...
Old 12-13-2010, 09:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

Pretty Cool (sabotloader ) Yes yes... mind is always moving.
I know exaclly what you mean... it is a disease that a lot of us have.....

is there something about the Powerbelts do don't like?? what do you use?
Remember I am only one voice in a lot of people here.... Shoot jsut thought of another picture I need to send you... but back to the PB.... There is probably no better way to get shooting quickly than using pellets and PB's. But once you get a feel for the sport you will advance and what you are doing - it even might become infectious to you as it has to me.

If I were near you or vice-versa - we would head to a shooting spot and find out more about your rifle.. but I would offer two choices for deer hunting bullets, either a regularly priced Speer .452/250 grain Gold Dot - now called Deep Curls or the preimium Lehigh bullet of the same size. The problem finding the correct sabot to fit your bore.

It would be my suggestion you just stay with your plan to get your feet on the ground....

Here is the picture - this is when you are totally infected... And this is only a small part of it...

I might just invest in a range rod and take i t from there...
Eventually you are going to want one - but wait until you have a feel for everything - so you can take advantage of the best one available.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:31 AM
Spike

OH WOW!! impressive tackle box you have there,,,,

ok .. i'll start off with the PB and Pellets and see what performance I get from the Gun..... Just have to find a bore sight to put me on Paper...

Do you break in The barrel ?
Old 12-13-2010, 11:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

caribsteve

Do you break in The barrel ?
Oh shoot I forgot you have a new gun... wish i could find another post about this....

I do not know if you would call it a 'break in' but you really do need to do a very good job cleaning the barrel from the factory before shooting. Use a high quality bore solvent like Barnes CR-10 or some such product. Saturate a patch and let the fluid sit in the bore for a few minutes - Get the bore clean.

Then I always run patches of bore oil and JB's bore paste in the bore to smooth and polish the bore. And in your case shooting the powder belts will help this process as they rub the bore on the way out.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:16 PM
Spike

oH ok... Def will be picking some up tonight.. What kind of groups are you getting with The Speer bullets and loads you're doing?
Old 12-13-2010, 12:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

oH ok... Def will be picking some up tonight.. What kind of groups are you getting with The Speer bullets and loads you're doing?
Look at the target a few posts back... that was with Gold Dots and BH powder, T7 loose would be a grain for grain swap and would be just as accurate, but the velocity would be down just a little bit....

Accuracy will not be a problem with the Power Belts - It is what they might or might do once they hit the target - that is highly questionable.

Here is another target from my White U-Mag

Old 12-14-2010, 03:47 AM
Spike

Very nice groups...

another question if you don't mind..

I see people posting thier setups and the bullet looks like a different caliber to thier gun...

example ".458 220grn Lehigh bullet out of my Knight 52cal. "

care to shed some light on this? I'm confused

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.