Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
TC newenglander shotgun question >

TC newenglander shotgun question

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

TC newenglander shotgun question

Old 12-10-2010, 12:14 PM
Fork Horn

Default TC newenglander shotgun question

I just acquired a newenglander shotgun ( none choked), I have been looking for one of these for years. Now I need a little help. what do I need to purchase to load this thing? what do you all use for wads Over powder and over shot ? I think I will be useing triple 7 2f. what load would you recommend for grouse. and also if I was to turkey hunt with it what shot cup would I need to get to tighten the pattern for the 25+ yards I would be shooting. I have many muzzleloader rifles, but this is my first Muzzleloading shotgun. again I'm new to this shotgun thing, so please let me know what I need, and where to purchase this stuff. my buddy just saw my new gun and wants one really bad, he has the newenglander rifle barrel, but can he order a shotgun barrel from TC custom shop ? and what would that run him for cost ?
Thanks in advance. Steve
Old 12-10-2010, 03:04 PM
Dominant Buck

I have a New Englander 12 gauge. My grouse load is;

80 grains of Pyrodex RS or APP 2f powder
then an over the powder card
then a fiber filler wad
then 90 grains of #5 bird shot
then two over the shot cards.

Another way to load the gun is;

90 grains of APP 2f or Pyrodex RS
plastic 2-3/4 shotcup
an equal amount of #5 bird shot poured down the barrel
two over the shot cards.

these loads have knocked grouse down at 25 yards approximately. Be on your toes, because you have little time to do it. But when I had the dog, he'd point them out to me so it was a little easier.

A turkey load that I never got to try because I purchased a TK2000 is 100 grains of Pyrodex RS a 3 inch plastic shot cup, an equal amount of #5 or #6 bird shot, then two over the shot cards.

I shot that turkey load once, and it was brutal. Remember your shooting a large powder charge and then on top of that a huge amount of lead.

Handy shotgun data for the new smooth bore shooter... POWDER DRAM TO GRAIN CONVERSION
DRAM MEASURE-------GRAIN EQUIVALENT
2½ --------------------68.0
2¾ --------------------75.0
3 ----------------------82.0
3¼ --------------------89.0
3½ --------------------96.0
3¾ --------------------102.0

1. Measure and pour the correct powder charge down each barrel. If shooting a double barrel gun it might be wise to charge each barrel at the same time to avoid confusion as to what has been done in the loading process.

2. The over powder wad is next. Depending on the choke of your weapon, these wads can be snug to very tight. Start an edge of the wad and then finish it off by pushing it down on top of your powder with the ramrod. Seat the wad firmly on top of the powder.

3. The fiber cushion wad comes next---unless you are using a plastic sleeve type at this time. Fiber wads are not loaded dry. If not pre-lubed---Wonder-Lube , Natural Lube 1000 or another readily available lube can be used. Push the cushion wad firmly down on top of the over powder wad. If using a plastic sleeve, seat the sleeve just as you did the cushion wad.

4. Measure and pour the desired charge of shot down the barrel.

5. The over-shot card wad is next. Again---firmly push the wad down the barrel till it is firmly seated on top of the shot charge.