Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Why Me

Old 12-07-2010, 03:19 PM
Fork Horn

Default Why Me

I bought a Knight Disc Elite from a guy on another forum and have been eagerly waiting for it. Hoping maybe I could use it during out ML season upstate , today I get a pm call him asap. He is having a hard time shipping the rifle through the post office or UPS. He brought to a local shop he had mail one for him once before and they called an FFL dealer here and was told it had to shipped to a FFL dealer. Thats BS now Im trying to find some way to convince the shop by him its okay to ship a black powder rifle to a private individual. Just had to spew about it.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

These shipping places are so ignorant about the law it is hard to believe. I feel for you. I always seem to be a bit aprehensive when I am waiting to get a gun I bought online, this would make even more so. I hope it all works out for you.
Art
Old 12-07-2010, 03:45 PM
bigcountry

The bottom line is the guy has to understand the burden of proof that he is doing correct lies with him. Tell him, not to sit there and explain to some chic at the PO that its a gun. Just ship it. Worst that will happen is the postmaster will find it, then contact the aTF, and by ATF rules, its legal to ship from person to person, muzzleloading rifles, and antique (replicas also) from person to person.

Old 12-07-2010, 04:01 PM
Dominant Buck

I used to run into the same thing... try to ship a black powder rifle and everyone became paranoid. The USPS mail office lady would not ship a rifle, period. Even after I offered to show her in her law book where it was legal to do so. Yet when companies mail me a rifle through the USPS mail, they deliver it. Figure that one out.

Now I take a rifle and try to beak it down so the box is not six feet long mind you, mark is sporting goods, and ship it. I figure if I am caught, it is sporting goods and legal to send. So I am not breaking any laws.

I would tell this person you purchased it from, to wrap it, take it to a UPS shipping station and if they ask tell them it is sporting goods.. a Christmas present if they get real "need to know." And mail it. Although, there are some states that do require black powder rifles to be sent by an FFL holder. But not all States require a FFL recipient.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

gman57

According to Cabelas - there may be shipping restrictions on ML's in some parts of NY

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...leloader+rifle

Check the yellow box at the bottom of the page.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:28 PM
mountaineer magic

Originally Posted by sabotloader
gman57

According to Cabelas - there may be shipping restrictions on ML's in some parts of NY

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...leloader+rifle

Check the yellow box at the bottom of the page.
The following states have restrictions,
hawaii
illinois
Massachusetts
Michigan
New Jersey
new York
all other states you can ship direct.
For some it's a local law not state wide

Last edited by mountaineer magic; 12-07-2010 at 04:35 PM.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:09 PM
kb1
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by chetmarks
The following states have restrictions,
hawaii
illinois
Massachusetts
Michigan
New Jersey
new York
all other states you can ship direct.
For some it's a local law not state wide
the only restriction in NY as far as i know is new york city.........
but long island is closeand some folks read NY and think it means the whole state.......karl
Old 12-07-2010, 09:20 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys the only restriction is in NYC itself ,Im good on Long Island, its crazy as they deliver them every day from Cabelas,Bass Pro and the like,I even had one left on my porch... The guys gonna try again tommorow.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:46 PM
Typical Buck

Set up an acct. with UPS, very easy to do. The driver picks your shipments up at the door no questions asked. Have shipped muzzleloaders this way for years with no problem.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've ran into that twice here in MN. The first time was at a UPS store and the lady almost had a heart attack just at the sight of the box. She couldn't get me out of the store fast enough. I had to go through an FFL. The second time I tried going to the UPS hub. That didn't work either. The only way she would send it was if I sent it directly to an FFL. And don't try to argue with her. She knew her job and knew the laws. I was fortunate enough that there was a small gun shop that had just opened in town and he shipped it for me for a $5 handling fee. Oddly enough it still turned out to be cheaper that way than what the UPS lady quoted to me.