Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
another powerbelt thread >

another powerbelt thread

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

another powerbelt thread

Old 12-12-2010, 09:35 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Michlw39
well, this is about a lot of things but it's connected to the powerbelt debate.

--just about any gun out there, including .22s, will kill deer. my grandfather put a number of deer down on the spot with a .22 magnum back in the day.

--there's a LOT of great guns and ammo out there today. a LOT. just like beer or food, each kind will have its faithful followers and also those that can't stand it. that's what makes the world go around.

what does this all mean? YOU need to decide for yourself. YOU need to do your own "taste test," as it were, and figure it out.

for example, i bought an inexpensive wolf cva package. it came with 15 powerbelt 295 hollow points. rather than throwing them out and buying something else (if i had just made that decision based on reading negative comments here and elsewhere), i tried them out FOR MYSELF.

and i was happy with them! and still am happy with them (shooting 777 100 grains with them).

now: does that mean you will be happy with them? no. just like it's not my job to discourage you from trying something for yourself, it's also not my job to get you to buy something simply based on my own success.

and i don't work for wolf or powerbelt, nor do i get any free stuff from them. just saying we all need to approach things this way. use these forums to get a little more educated--but stop short of talking yourself completely out of a product you've never tried yourself.

know what i mean?

Michlw39,

No, I dont know what you mean. Do you mean killing paper, or living breathing animals, with bones, muscle, organs, and tissue? Nobody ever questioned their ability to kill paper, they do that rather well in some rifles.

My question to you, is how many deer, or other animals have you taken with them? I'm guessing by how and what you wrote in your post that you are relatively new to muzzleloaders?

My dad used to hunt with a .22 magnum back when they were still legal, he had some success, then it happend. He lost a very nice buck, they looked for three days for that buck, to no avail. It was found a couple weeks later by a neighboring farmer. Do you think my dad ever shot another deer with a .22 magnum? Nobody likes losing an animal, but it happens, and it is our duty not to help prevent it from happening. The .22 magnums were later removed from the legal methods of take by the State, and for good reason.

LKNCHOPPERS had a very good post, you might want to re-read that one.

The PowerBelts are the most loved/hated bullets in the muzzleloader world. I know several people that loved them, until they hated them. Know what I mean?

I'm not going to tell you not to use them, but 100 gr of 777 powder is pushing that bullet much harder than it's design is capable in all instances. You hit heavy bone in the shoulder, you will probably not get past the ribs with anything bigger than a fragment. I tried to warn several people of this, most had to learn their own lesson.

The reason that they are so popular, is CVA has put together an excellent marketing campaign. Every place you can buy muzzleloader supplies sells them, because of advertising and marketing to the guys just starting out in the muzzleloader world. The big box clerks, many don't know any better themselves, 9 times out of 10 will either recommend PowerBelts, pelletized powder, or both. If you are looking for easy, they make it easy. Just drop in 2 pellets and a PowerBelt, and you're off to the races. They generally shoot paper well enough, so this must be good, right? I guess you will have to answer that for yourself, once you have some experience to go with your decision.

Good luck with your decision, I truely hope it works well for you, but history tends to repeat itself. If you look, PowerBelts have a lot of history. The beer and food analagy might work for paper, but when the big dogs go hunting, they leave the skirts back at the house. Know what I mean?

There are 2 kinds of people when it comes to PowerBelts. Those that hate them, and those that don't know it yet!

Friends don't let friends shoot PowerBelts!

Last edited by badbowbender2; 12-12-2010 at 09:43 AM.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

powerbelt in a flintlock is BEST bullet i have ever used.45 years hunting bucks with hawkins .50 cal .
but it has to be loaded MEDIUM .

i like 295/348 gr. loading my hawkins at no more than 80 grs and being able to not have RECOIL/SMOKE/NOISE/EASY LOADING IN COLD is great thing and bullet opens nicely on a buck.

shoot them in a in-line at high velocity,I WOULD NEVER DO THAT TO A DEER.
as most load their in-lines HOT powerbelt is not bullet i would use.
but in a open sight flintlock, ITS A GREAT BULLET .