Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
another powerbelt thread >

another powerbelt thread

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

another powerbelt thread

Old 12-07-2010, 09:03 AM
Fork Horn

Default another powerbelt thread

well, this is about a lot of things but it's connected to the powerbelt debate.

--just about any gun out there, including .22s, will kill deer. my grandfather put a number of deer down on the spot with a .22 magnum back in the day.

--there's a LOT of great guns and ammo out there today. a LOT. just like beer or food, each kind will have its faithful followers and also those that can't stand it. that's what makes the world go around.

what does this all mean? YOU need to decide for yourself. YOU need to do your own "taste test," as it were, and figure it out.

for example, i bought an inexpensive wolf cva package. it came with 15 powerbelt 295 hollow points. rather than throwing them out and buying something else (if i had just made that decision based on reading negative comments here and elsewhere), i tried them out FOR MYSELF.

and i was happy with them! and still am happy with them (shooting 777 100 grains with them).

now: does that mean you will be happy with them? no. just like it's not my job to discourage you from trying something for yourself, it's also not my job to get you to buy something simply based on my own success.

and i don't work for wolf or powerbelt, nor do i get any free stuff from them. just saying we all need to approach things this way. use these forums to get a little more educated--but stop short of talking yourself completely out of a product you've never tried yourself.

know what i mean?
Old 12-07-2010, 09:10 AM
mountaineer magic

Originally Posted by Michlw39
well, this is about a lot of things but it's connected to the powerbelt debate.

--just about any gun out there, including .22s, will kill deer. my grandfather put a number of deer down on the spot with a .22 magnum back in the day.

--there's a LOT of great guns and ammo out there today. a LOT. just like beer or food, each kind will have its faithful followers and also those that can't stand it. that's what makes the world go around.

what does this all mean? YOU need to decide for yourself. YOU need to do your own "taste test," as it were, and figure it out.

for example, i bought an inexpensive wolf cva package. it came with 15 powerbelt 295 hollow points. rather than throwing them out and buying something else (if i had just made that decision based on reading negative comments here and elsewhere), i tried them out FOR MYSELF.

and i was happy with them! and still am happy with them (shooting 777 100 grains with them).

now: does that mean you will be happy with them? no. just like it's not my job to discourage you from trying something for yourself, it's also not my job to get you to buy something simply based on my own success.

and i don't work for wolf or powerbelt, nor do i get any free stuff from them. just saying we all need to approach things this way. use these forums to get a little more educated--but stop short of talking yourself completely out of a product you've never tried yourself.

know what i mean?
yep. and after using them for a couple years i got good and educated and wouldn't use them if they were free..

Old 12-07-2010, 09:26 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by chetmarks
yep. and after using them for a couple years i got good and educated and wouldn't use them if they were free..
fair enough. i'm not trying to talk you into using them or not using them. that's the point.

i'm sure you'd recommend a beer to me that i thought tasted like **** as well. that doesn't make the beer bad. just personal tastes. again, my point.

my grandfather would laugh at all of us getting all lathered up about specs and bullets and what not. kind of the same as bad golfers blaming their golf clubs. make a good shot on a deer and the animal's going down. pretty simple.

Last edited by Michlw39; 12-07-2010 at 09:29 AM.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Michlw39

Agree with your points... and I am glad that they worked for you and to be truthful they have worked for a lot of people. In fact my hunting partner uses them in his Hawken.

I tried them and since as Cayugad says I am a 'Powder monkey' they do not work for me other than on paper. I will always prefer velocity/energy over a slower moving bullet. In Idaho when I have to shoot a concical - I do shoot a big slow conical - but one that will not pancake and come apart on occasions.

There are a lot folks that put everything into accuracy and in that department they do shine most of the time. I readily admit I do not use the most accurate bullet hunting - I use the bullet that APPEARS to give me the most terminal ballistcs.

Last edited by sabotloader; 12-07-2010 at 09:33 AM.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:39 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Michlw39

Agree with your points... and I am glad that they worked for you and to be truthful they have worked for a lot of people. In fact my hunting partner uses them in his Hawken.

I tried them and since as Cayugad says I am a 'Powder monkey' they do not work for me other than on paper. I will always prefer velocity/energy over a slower moving bullet. In Idaho when I have to shoot a concical - I do shoot a big slow conical - but one that will not pancake and come apart on occasions.

There are a lot folks that put everything into accuracy and in that department they do shine most of the time. I readily admit I do not use the most accurate bullet hunting - I use the bullet that APPEARS to give me the most terminal ballistcs.
i do think there's a lot to the concept of certain guns liking certain kinds of ammo. what works for me might not work for you, and vice versa. the important thing is that you've come to some decisions on equipment based on your own personal experimentation.

i'm also open to trying new things. i'll keep experimenting as well.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:41 AM
Banned

trying new things and experimenting is what makes muzzle loading so much fun. In the end, if you dont like something, you can always go back to your original set up. Been there many times!
Old 12-07-2010, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

For a bullet to "work well" it needs to be sufficiently accurate AND it needs to perform on the animal. I've never used powebelts, but I don't need to read more than a couple reports of them blowing apart and not passing through a deer with 100 gr charges to know they are not a bullet I need to try for myself to see if it works. I like a bullet that I can shoot accurately with at least 100 gr of powder AND will normally pass through a deer.

I've had great results with FPBs and Maxiballs, that's all I've ever shot in a ML. I don't shoot a lot, and when something performs I don't mess with it.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Michlw39

I agree with the premise of your statement. In many cases, personal experiences vary and people should be content with what they choose to hunt with. But I don't think it's wise to over-look other's experiences either. I will openly admit, I've never killed an animal with a Powerbelt. But my buddy who I hunt with all year/every year does. I've seen them fail way too often. In that sense, I don't need to shoot them to 'test' them.

i.e. I don't have to touch a stove to know it's hot. I've seen others do it and seen them get burned (pun intended)

That's why these forums are great. You can learn from others.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Michlw39

Sabotloaders statement says it all very well. in the end you decide what bullet you want to use and you have to live with that decision.would a PB be my choice? absolutely not, but that's my decision..live and learn!
Old 12-07-2010, 12:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Every thing has its place, I love to blow coyotes up with the 245 gr and in a pinch if up plug the hollow point they will do a good job on deer. But when I pay that much for a bullet then I expect to get the proper results with out having to doctor it. Compared to the other bullets in the same price range they do not fare well.
An FPB a Thor a Lehigh a Barns a Shock Wave are in that price range; and then there is the reasonable priced Gold Dot or Deep Curl which does as good a job as any of the on deer and boar for a fraction of the cost.
I say shoot what ever you like but do take the trouble to understand whats available and how best to use it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.