Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Got me a 2-fer!! (Graphic Pics) >

Got me a 2-fer!! (Graphic Pics)

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Got me a 2-fer!! (Graphic Pics)

Old 12-05-2010, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jaybez101099
Very nice.....What kind of gun were you using?
I don't see a ramrod on the barrel......
The rifle is a .45 cal "Cascade Magnum" a.k.a. CVA Hunterbolt. After I bought it years ago, I modified it somewhat by free-floating the barrel and glass-bedded the receiver area. It dramatically improved the accuracy, but unfortunately I got a little enthusiastic with the Acra Glass, and some got in the area of the stock where the ramrod goes. So the ramrod no longer will fit in the stock. So I take a range rod out hunting with a string attached to sling over my shoulder. When I get in a tree stand, I hang the range rod from a branch next to me. It works, but can be a pain sometimes.

Oh, and the scope is a Simmons ProDiamond 4X.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Doug100g
What a hunt. Nice job there.

I was thinking that if I scrolled down a little father in your thread, you were going to say..."oh, by the way. This Coyote came by to eat my two deer I just shot within thirty minutes of each other and Bang! Got it to." LOL

That place your hunting (in the background) looks beautiful.

D

Thanks! I wish your coyote story would have happened .

It is very beautiful country - southeastern Ohio, about 15 miles from West Virginia. My family owns the land- has a nice pond, plenty of wildlife, etc. We've had the land since 2002, and I still pinch myself sometimes to remind myself that this is real.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's a nice day in the woods right there!

Looks like both bullets did the job. Just goes to show that a properly placed bullet will cleanly kill deer.

Thanks for sharing!

ps, that would be a good deer where I hunt as well.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:16 PM
Fork Horn

Congratulations. beautiful buck, my suspicious mind thought the same thing when I saw no ramrod, That land you hunt looks mity pretty with the lake in the background.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Very nice. Nice buck and a whopper doe. Congrats
Old 12-05-2010, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been there and done that. Congrat's to you! You have to Shoot em when you see em. Nice Job filling the Freezer! I have a sign on my Frige that says NO BEEF! and another that says "Will Hunt for Food" It Taste so much better when you shoot it.
Again, Congrat's on some Mighty Fine Eatin Venesion!
(BP)
Old 12-05-2010, 06:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats on the double Smelly. That ten-pointer would be a trophy deer for our piney woods area. Any idea what he weighed?

I've never killed two deer on the same day. Shot two on the same weekend though and had all of the meat processing I wanted to do. I resolved to not do that again unless #2 was a buck that just could not be passed up. With our 75 day season I can afford to pace my harvest.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
Congrats on the double Smelly. That ten-pointer would be a trophy deer for our piney woods area. Any idea what he weighed?

I've never killed two deer on the same day. Shot two on the same weekend though and had all of the meat processing I wanted to do. I resolved to not do that again unless #2 was a buck that just could not be passed up. With our 75 day season I can afford to pace my harvest.
I didn't have a scale, but I would estimate he weighed 180+ lbs. Dragging him out he felt like 200+, but that might be pushing it.

Me & my dad spent at least 8 hours taking care of the meat for both deer. Not something I prefer to repeat anytime soon. We did 36 jars of canned meat, steaks, roasts, burger plus a decent amount to take to the processor for sausage.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hey StinkyDog, please describe this canned meat process to me. Is it pickled? Cooked? Strips/chunks/ground fine like pate`?
Old 12-06-2010, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on yer fine double

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.