Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
T/C Surefire 230 gr. bullet/sabot >

T/C Surefire 230 gr. bullet/sabot

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

T/C Surefire 230 gr. bullet/sabot

Old 11-19-2010, 12:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default T/C Surefire 230 gr. bullet/sabot

Folks,
This year money is tight around my house. So earlier this hunting season I saw the T/C Surefire at W@@@mart for $7 for 20 rounds. We the cheapskate in me said, "geez for seven bucks, its worth a try!" So I practiced off had with about 6 rounds at a 40 yard cardboard box. First round 6 inches to the left but up/down was good. So I moved the rear sight to the left some and touched off the second round. The second shot was even more to the left. Then I remembered "You move the rear sight in the direction you want impact to be!" Duhh!! So I move the sight some to the right and touched off the third round. I was back to where I started. So I moved the sight some more to the right and touched off the fourth round. Bamm, right in the bullseye!!! I' m thinking "ok I like what's happening here!" So I load up the fifth shot and pull the trigger and ....nothing!!! What the heck! I take out the cap and put another one in and pull the trigger.....fizzle!!! No shot....the plug was gunked up! So enough for the day.....but I want to hunt in the morning! What's a mother to do? I went hunting!!

Long story, short! I have now taken two deer on two different days with these bullets. Its like lightening struck these deer....bang....down! Next thing you know, I'm gutting deer.

I love these things and the cheapskate in me is saying "Yeah!"

I'm shooting a CVA Accura, 100 gr. Pyrodex, 777 primers.

By the way, that pyrodex is a mess!!
Old 11-19-2010, 12:33 PM
Banned

yep pyrodex is a stinky mess. Look into blackhorn209.

By the way, the next time you get one of those pop, no fires, MAKE SURE you use your ramrod and push the bullet back down onto the powder charge. A primer alone can push a projectile out of the barrel alone.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:04 PM
Fork Horn

MD54,
Thanks for the advise! When it went fizzle, I thought oh Sh1t, what do I do now? I pointed the gun into the ground and waited a few minutes. Then I broke open the action and took out the cap. I never considered that the fizzle would have moved the bullet! I will certainly push it down next time that happens. In the end, I removed the plug and emptied the chamber of powder and used the bullet the next day to kill that fat doe!!!
Old 11-19-2010, 11:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I found those Shure Fire's at Wall Mart for about half that price and bought the last 4 packs they had. It's good to know they work well on deer.