Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Lake Effect Snow and MLing >

Lake Effect Snow and MLing

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Lake Effect Snow and MLing

Old 11-19-2010, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Lake Effect Snow and MLing

Just finished watching the News (Weather) tomorrow's our Gun Opener. Cant sleep, Well tomorrow's going to be in the 40's droping into the 30's, not too bad for our Opener. The Wife's ready, Im ready, I just hope the Deer ar'nt.
The Snow and COLD that are out West are heading our way, it should arrive for Thanksgiving (Be sure to say your Thank's for all you have) After the Snow hit's Lake Erie it's suppos-to change into a Lake Effect Snow Storm, Perfect for Hunting with a MLer.
I LOVE Hunting with Snow, it's makes it so much more easier to See and Track the Deer. You guy's that never get Snow dont know what your missing. I can break out My Cabela's Snow Camo and be Invisible.
My 200gr XTP's arrived today for My Wife's ACCURA, but I did'nt want to mess with Her MLer, It's sighted in so for now She's gonna stay with a 240gr XTP and 70gr's of Pyro. She's gonna limit Her shot's to about 70yds and under. She had Surgery on both of her Wrist again in August so She's a little Gun Shy yet, the 200gr XTP's out to be really light on the recoil, if all goes well tomorrow I might not even need to change her Load. She still has 3 more Surgries to go and so far all has been good. She missed last Season because of it.
Well I just wanted to wish all the Fellow NY Hunter's Luck tomorrow and with any Luck I'll have a story to tell.
Off to bed soon, have to get up at 4am. Then off to our Hunting grounds and a 2 mile hike off to the Swamp.
Just trying to Calm the Wife down about the Bear's and Coyote's, she's had a few close encounter's with em. Our Bear Season Closed today and reopens in a week. So we cant shoot any tomorrow for the Opener, it gives em time to adjust to Man and HIDE! then there fair game.
But once the Lake Effect Sniw hit;s them Bear and Deer will be a-lot easier to see, especially the Bear.
Good Luck to All and Goodnight.
(BP)
Old 11-19-2010, 07:54 PM
Spike

Yo Good Luck Breech Plug and hunt hard so you can can a good story to tell us tomorrow.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:50 PM
Dominant Buck

Today (this morning) was over cast and freezing drizzle. Then a few flakes fell during the day. They are calling for snow tonight and tomorrow so it will add to the white on the ground. Then a few days without snow and the big storm should come rolling in.

Don't you love living near the Great Lakes in Winter.
Old 11-20-2010, 12:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
Today (this morning) was over cast and freezing drizzle. Then a few flakes fell during the day. They are calling for snow tonight and tomorrow so it will add to the white on the ground. Then a few days without snow and the big storm should come rolling in.

Don't you love living near the Great Lakes in Winter.
Ya Dave that Alberta Clipper is headed your way, then here, nothing beats a Good Northern Winter with lake Effect Snow.
Well I just got up, the Dang Weatherman LIED again! those High Winds were suppos-to be twords Buffalo and miss us but as I write this the Blue Spruce Trees in my yard are bending. But it's Opening Day and you have to take what you get I guess, the Wife wants to go back to Bed, she's probably the only Smart one.
If anyone know's how our Opening Day's can be (Fellow NYers) than you know we've had Pouring Rain, Snow so deep we could'nt even Hunt, over 3 feet, Temps in the mid 60's, WIND, and if were ever so Luck we sometimes get a Nice Cool Calm Day, but not very often.
But besides the Hunt, today means more to me. It is seeing some Guy's I have'nt seen since Last Huting Season, still being able to do what we Love and to remember some of the Older Guy's that taught us oh so much that are no longer with us. Even though there gone they still feel like there here with us in Spirit.
A Nice Deer today will only be a Plus to all the other things Opening Day has to offer.
God Bless America and all of you! Wish Me (us) Luck.
(BP)