Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Burris or Nikon

Old 12-03-2010, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Nikon Pro Staff, Bushnell Dusk to Dawn, Leupold Ultimate Slam ML Scope and a Cheap $40 Tasco, they all work Great, these are just on My MLers. None have ever let me down and the cost between them varys greatly.
For the Money the Bushnell is as good as the Leupold, but if I had to pick one it would be the Leupold.
But when it all comes down to it I've taken just as many Nice Deer with the $40 Tasco as I have with the Leupold.
You have to have a Nice Deer in sight first, then the scope is just help putting the finishing touches on it. No scope no matter how much better it is than the cheaper one will help you get the Buck of a Lifetime if he's not there in the crosshairs.
(BP)
Old 12-03-2010, 06:28 PM
Fork Horn

I have both of these scopes. Both of them are great. Buy the one you can save the most money on, and spend the rest on powder and bullets and go shoot the heck out of it!
Old 12-03-2010, 10:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cant speak about the burris, but I have 4 nikon's and there all dandy's
Old 12-04-2010, 06:46 PM
Typical Buck

I own both.Nikon on Omega and Burris on Ithaca deerslayer.both great scopes.Whichever you choose will be a good choice.

Charlie
Old 12-04-2010, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've never used a Nikon Omega so I can't comment on it. However, I've used a Burris FFII in 3-9x40 and I love it. Great clarity and vivid colors in the daytime, and great in low light too.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:04 AM
Spike

I just went through this exercise of making this choice with my Accura V2. I ended up with the Nikon primarily because of the extra eye relief and the fact that the Omega is a 1.65 - 5.

At 1.65 I can clearly see an object 10 feet away. Just a tad bit clearer than a 2-7.

The extra eye relief is really nice. With 2-3 inches of relief you shouldn't get busted. With 5 inches you will not. I hate to admit to it - but it has happened to me twice. The first time was the first time on the range with my Knight many years ago. The second time, somehow I just forgot about it. I am not alone, it is a common problem. I went to the range 2 weeks ago. The kid next to me ended up with a goose egg between his eyes.

Had the Nikon on the range for the first time on Saturday. We had snow showers move through. When on the range snow was blowing and collecting on/in the front of the Nikon scope. Not a problem - crystal clear vision through the scope. Accuracy is as expected.

My Ruger 22 mag has a Burris mini on it. It is a nice scope. Always accurate. Both make good products.